Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first VX 4-23

Bought my first VX 4-23

Just thought I'd intro myself, tell how I found my VX (maybe it found me) and ask a few questions. My Name is Don and I live in Apex NX, which is a 'burb of Raleigh. Will be moving to Atlanta end of month which is part of my VX story. I first saw a VX years ago at a dealer...fascination at first sight. It seemed so cool but impractical, yet something /everything was beautiful (except the price). Anyway, the move to Atlanta is a job promotion (medical imaging engineer - Philips) and for the first time in 15 years I needed to purchase a car..I have had a company van all that time (but the new position is 'inside'). I searched my needs, desires, and budget ...worked for 2 months on my wife and finally got her OK to buy a nissan 350Z. Weds I test drove one...it was pretty OK but I was having real problems with spending that kind of money on a car. And besides, I have her and a 10 yr. old son to consider and the 350Z is a 2 seater. On Thursday I took a service call for a vacationing engineer and passed through a small town in NC where I saw the VX for sale at the side of the road. My buried intrigue with the car surfaced right away. I couldn't raise the owners on the phone until late that evening. We agreed to meet the next day. Sleep was restless and dreams were of VXs. 9 AM I drove it. 9:15 my offer was accepted on 1999 ironman number 0358. By 5 PM it was in my driveway. It has 37k miles and the original owners took perfect care of it. It is like new in every detail. They made me promise to call them first if I ever sold it). Of course I could go on and on; but wont. What is weird is that this is the first car I have purchased for myself in 30 years. It may be the last car I every purchase (am 53 yrs and it looks like it could go many, many years). Here's how I describe the car to my friend and neighbors...every item is engineer to the n th degree. For example when I washed her Sat, I marveled at the fact that all logos and words (3.5L for example) were smoothed and I wasn't leaving wash mitt strings behind. Attention to detail. I drove by the jeep dealer on Sat (to talk to the salesman who is pestering my daughter to by a Liberty) and told him we bought the VX for her so he would quit calling us. Four salesmen were perplexed as to what they were looking at. I told them, "When a jeep dreams...this is what it sees." They wanted me to leave, this beautiful car was making their Jeeps look shoddy (of course they didn't come right out and say that, but I could tell. My question is this, "What do you like most about the VX? My answer would start with the looks and the fact that is fun to drive.
    Don

Welcome to the addiction!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Yep, sounds like you are hooked.

Question: As you put the VX up for the night, do you turn back taking a last look and give it a smile?

That's love...;Dr;
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thumbs up Congrats!

Welcome to the family, and the pleasure of owning the coolest ride on (or off) the road!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Don, I'm orginally from Durham (in Maryland now). I'm very familar with Raleigh and the Apex area. Congrats on the job promotion. Good luck with the move and relocation to ATL (I'm sure you're enjoy the change in scenery). But most of all, welcome to your new family of beloved VX owners.

BTW, if the RDU area is home for you (as it is with me), maybe I'll spot you around town when visiting for the holidays. If you see an Ebony with MD tags, don't hesitate to stop me and say hello.

Que.

Sounds like the reaction I had when the VX first hit the floors in '99... I loved the looks but as you said, the price tags were not so pretty... took me a few years before realizing that I could afford a nice used one... the rest is history...

Welcome to the club! Your right, the looks are AWSOME and very unique... and the thing is a BLAST to drive... I can't wait to get mine back on the road... UGH! I wish I could afford TWO of them... am I sick? Do I need help?!

Anyway... its great to have ya!

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!

Originally posted by Anita
    Question: As you put the VX up for the night, do you turn back taking a last look and give it a smile?
    Anita-
    I'm even worse about that deal... I don't even go through my garage so I don't see my VX unless I go out of my way... I'll wander down there and peer into the garage just to see it... I'll wander INTO the garage to take a look at the NEW motor resting in there too.

Later!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

Hey Don,

Welcome to the family. I'm also in Atlanta. When you get settled, send me an email or a PM so we can get together. It could be a good occasion for an informal meet with the other Atlanta folks (Dave, you reading this?).

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Hey Don,

Welcome to the family. I have only been here for a little while myself, but these seem like a great bunch of people. I have the exact same feelings about the VX that you do. There isn't just one thing that I love about it. All I know is that I just smile the whole time I drive it....

Dean

Welcome Dean... Yes let's get together for a mini meet when you get here to ATL! Look forward to meeting you and good luck with the move.

-Dave

3.5 years and, when walking away, I still turn around to look at it... it's a marvel to look at!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by Triathlete
    Welcome to the addiction!

so true..........

"What do you like most about the VX?"
    For me it is the 'fun to drive'.
    There are a number of drawbacks to the VX ....... many, if not most well documented ....... the poor visibility, the inaccessability of the rear seats, small storage area ........... others not as well documented ..... the reliability issues ..........
    but there are few vehicles (in this 'class') that I am aware of that are as fun to drive as the VX ........ very unique ........ most of it has to do with the great handling traits ........

beside the fact that I always look at it when i walk away my driveway goes in front of my house. Yes you better believe the vx gets parked where I can see it from my living room window and bedroom window. I check on it like it is a little kid at night. It towed my boat up to the lake this weekend and after out goofing off on the boat I sat on the dock staring at the VX. Bought my boat to match the VX is there something wrong with me? Instead of my boat being dark on bottom light on top it is the opposite. Where as the vx is dark on bottom light on top.

dkmiller68 your story also reminded me of finding my VX. My wife had been looking for a SUV of some sorts for months. Driving around after being completly pissed off after looking for cars we happened to stumble across the VX. That was a sunday night the next morning I bought it. Couldn't resist it. Within two weeks I bought my wife a new car and took the VX for myself. I love the thing!