Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P285/60R18's and wierd TOD Operation

So is it still doing it? I have the 285 Nittos and mine seems totally normal... the lights don't go up and down like you describe. You have check the pressure to make sure all 4 tires are equally inflated haven't you? Tire stores seem to pump them up to 'whatever' these days. Mine were all different when they were first installed.
    Canadian VXer!

hmmmm .....
    ..... if it is not the pressure, I do wonder if the size of one of the tires is different than the others ......
    I would attempt to meet with a fellow VX owner and 'switch' tires - install another set of mounted tires from a VX that does not have the problem .........

Yep, still doing it. I can pretty much make it do it on command. The thing is, it takes a very specific throttle position to get it to oscillate (the TOD adjusting from 0 led bars to 3 leds. Its somewhere between half throttle and full throttle, and will continue to oscillate if I hold it in this position, only in first gear though. All other gears are fine. I do believe it has to do with speed. I tried the winter start mode, and it does the same oscillation with the same throttle input.

Might it have something to do with the TOD cutoff switch? I might disconnect it all together. I just started to notice this when I got the tires changed, but it doesnt sound like they are the problem, I did do the TOD cutoff a week or so before my tire change.

I might be taking it to the dealer (yuck)!
    Mike Skurich
    1969 C3 Corvette Coupe
    1988 C4 Corvette Coupe
    1992 Misubishi 3000GT VR4
    1997 BMW F650ST
    2001 VehiCROSS
    2002 BMW R1100S
    2005 C6 Corvette Coupe

TOD Cutoff ? .......... did you mention that ........ ???
    Why do so many people .... anyone ........ want to disconnect TOD ...... ??? ........... This is a 4wd SUV .......... as my Dad would say: 'Leave the $#!@@ thing alone !!!' ......
    Maybe a tech will tell you to disconnect the battery reset the computer ....... or something like that .........
    ???

Wait.... mine IS doing it!

I just posted above that I have the Nittos and mine doesn't do that crazy TOD thing, because I was sure that if it did I would have noticed, but today I happened to look down and DID notice it! I watched it at ever street light and it does it every time I take off from a stop. The lights bounce all the way up and down three or four times really fast. Can everyone else actually go check theirs and post whether they see anything like this or not? I was sure mine didn't do that but it does, so now I am wondering if it's normal or if I have the same problem that the original poster has, or if it's something with the tires???

I think I might have solve the mystery. The TOD has an inertia sensor box under it near the rear axle. Which has a mercury switch type set up. I noticed with the bigger tires the unsprung weight in more and the ***** end drops when I accelerate because the rear coils flex more than the front torsion bar which are stiffer. This probably fools the sensor unitl the Vx is straight and level again. Before I put the bigger tires on I noticed that on steep inclines regardless of speed 2 bars would light up on the TOD. I guess the 2" in height combined with the greater unsprung weight could be the culprit.