Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fuel injector cleaner

I used the Lucas injector cleaner, but didn't notice any significant effect. I'm still considering a professional / off the rail cleaning.

SGT B - do you think those kits are universal? I mean, would that Grand National kit fit our VX, or are the fittings on the fuel rails all different sizes?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Never once cleaned my injectors. I never use fuel additives either. I think I just sorta got into the habit of NOT dumping anything into my fuel tank since I had my Z. Back then, I asked the speedshop that used to work on that car what I should use and he said nothing. This could be 100% wrong, but he told me that using fuel additives to clean or boost one thing can slowly damage a totally different thing. He showed me what I need to and how to clean the injectors on my own when he did mine. Said it's the best way to do it. Really cool since he was losing work for showing me how to do it myself, heh. But, I love these guys and they have NEVER screwed me in the 16 years I have been using them. Hell, if they work on 13-9 sec machines all day, I dunno if I can afford NOT to listen to them.

Just my experience with injectors. I cleaned them a few times on other vehicles with a pressure line I bought years ago. But, I since gave up doing ANY of my own work to the speedshop guys. They always cut me breaks anyways since I practically live there and they love the VX, heh.

BTW, cleaning them is quite easy once you do it once (I recommend watching someone do it once first). I called my brother last night (Mr Racecar builder/mechanic) and asked about injector durations and he figures with the VX, 8k city/12k highway. Thats typically for simple everyday drivers. If you run it hard, he just said to clean them more often than that, so you decide at that point. Running a vehicle hard, according to him, actually keeps the injectors cleaner, heh. But, its best to have them as clean as possible when you run hard.

FYI
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

So HOW do they clean them?... I removed the rail and soaked them in carb cleaner and used a brush to agitate the tips and then soaked them again-
    face the mirror