Thread: Wind Noise

Wind Noise

After a 6-hour drive in my wife's Impala, I hopped in my VX and noticed (for the first time) how much excessive wind noise I am getting- even at low speeds. I noticed a post a while ago in which a member stated his VX was airtight once his doors were closed. Mine never seemed to be this way. Is this common? Is there a way to locate and fix this problem?
    don't hate

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Kobie,

A question: Do you have a roof rack? One of the most common complaints when it concerns wind noise is caused by it.

Other ideas can be found on this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=wind+noise
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

i have a feelin its the mirrors....i have the roof rack removed, and im pretty sure my windows r tight (i run my hand along the window and cant feel air coming in). but i always hear wind from teh front left (cause im in the driver seat) around where the mirrors r.
    ________
    Web shows
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:10 PM

I don't have a roof rack and I searched the site for discussions on wind noise. My windows seem to be sealed with no leaks and I don't get water in the vehicle when it rains. I will try to ride with my windows folded to see if there is a noise difference but, at least on my VX, I don't think this is the cause.

Originally posted by MZ-N10
    i have a feelin its the mirrors....i have the roof rack removed, and im pretty sure my windows r tight (i run my hand along the window and cant feel air coming in). but i always hear wind from teh front left (cause im in the driver seat) around where the mirrors r.
    when I replaced my mirror heads with prototype chrome ones made for the Rodeo, the guy was very suprised that there were no "wind guards" covering the bolt holes (under the mirror head where the bolts connect the mirror head to the base). He said that all Rodeos - and every other mirror they build - has these covers to reduce wind noise. They appeared to be basically round stickers that covered the bolt holes to smooth the air flow. I haven't tried this, but maybe it would help your air noise?

Lightbulb Wind noise

I noticed a similar problem with wind noise while test driving my VX from the dealer. At first I thought the doors were not shut completely. That wasn't it so I pulled over and took a closer look. The rubber gasget around the inside of the door had come partially off its "holder thing" (on both doors). I tucked it back it and problem solved. (I could actually feel a slight breese).
    I find just about the same noise from the Weather Tech vents. They are great and fit perfect. With the window up they also generate a bit of wind noise. Good luck.

ps this is my first post so I hope it helps someone!