Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Hitch installed!!!

Blade Micro Trailer

hi,
    Has anyone seen these new fibreglass trailers, the Blade Micros?
    Take a look at the gallery, would love to know what you think!
    Greg

Greg, just to give the benefit of the doubt, make sure this is not spam. I'll give you this one, only because it's somewhat related to the thread... If you have something to peddle to this site, it is customary to ask the Admin before posting or risk being banned.
    Scott / moncha.com

Thanks for the info Ascinder i have looking for a hitch for a bit. I think i like th eone from etrailer.com i am going to buy today awesome!

Reese Hitch

Hey VX1, great job! That's the exact same hitch I used!

Sorry guys for not *ever* getting back to this thread I started. To tell you the truth I got way sidetracked right after I posted and forgot to come back and post pics, etc... thanks VX1 for posting the great pics!

I agree, it was a bit of a chore to install. Cutting the heavy metal in the Reese hitch was the most difficult bit. Also, having to drill and tap a second hole on each side in the VX's undercarriage wasn't fun either. Cutting the cladding made me cringe as well, but it's the cuts aren't obvious unless you're under the car

Thus, I ended up with two bolts on each side, firmly mounting the hitch to the body. Also, I had to take it off after a year or so to repaint as rust creeped in on the hitch where I had cut it.

Still looks great, and is a very useful mod. You won't get a more heavy duty hitch anywhere.

-Mike

Been towing mine for a few years now

Quote Originally Posted by VX1
    Is it possible to attract even more attention than the VX? Try the VX towing one of these!
    Andy C
    01 Firefox VX
    CT

I just finished installing Tone's hitch on mine and it turned out great. KUDOS Tone.

Yup, Tone's hitch is fantastic, but it is no fun to install!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren
    I just finished installing Tone's hitch on mine and it turned out great. KUDOS Tone.

It was labor intensive but actually not that difficult. The only problem I had was when I removed the tail skirt, I broke 2 of the mounting flanges. Thank God for PC-7. If I hadn't told you nobody would have ever known.

It did take longer than the 4 hours indicated but that was because 1) I'm slow. 2) My drill with the 1/2 inch chuck is cordless and the battery was dead. 3) I'm slow. 4) My Brother-in-law helped & he's slow-er

For me, it was the side cladding torque screws that were a whore to get off. Other than that, yeah, just a little labor intensive, but that is fine with me.

Its a great, solid hitch, and it looks sweet too.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren
    It was labor intensive but actually not that difficult. The only problem I had was when I removed the tail skirt, I broke 2 of the mounting flanges. Thank God for PC-7. If I hadn't told you nobody would have ever known.

It did take longer than the 4 hours indicated but that was because 1) I'm slow. 2) My drill with the 1/2 inch chuck is cordless and the battery was dead. 3) I'm slow. 4) My Brother-in-law helped & he's slow-er

those "the side cladding torque screws" you mentioned were the ones that went through tail skirt flanges I broke off on the passenger side.

BTW - finished product. SWEET!

I got my rear hitch step bar thing today, and I'll be getting a bike rack next week, now all I need is the hitch!

So, to double check...IS IT or is it NOT necessary to remove the cladding OR cut it to install the Curt (non-Tone) hitch?
    I've been leaning in it's favor a little but if the install work is similar, I might just go for Tone's.

Thanks!

Install is fairly similar for both. I have the Curt and what you have to do regarding the cladding is remove several of the rear cladding torx screws and pull on the cladding to get a tool in there if I remember correctly in oder to take it off. I also had to take a pair of needle-nose pliers and peel back some metal in the frame mount area in order to be able to fish in the mount bolts for the hitch. You will also need a large power drill to drill the holes for the hitch. I think the shank on the one I used was larger than the standard 3/8" size. It's a good idea to plan on more time than you think it will take. I haven't done any trailer wiring on mine, so I can't help you there.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

i have looked, and im confused......which hitch fits behind the cladding so that only the socket is exposed?? one of the two available from tone, or the curt??
    this is something im wanting to do badly, but im wanting mine behind the cladding.
    not meant to be a hijack........
    thanks
    david

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    i have looked, and im confused......which hitch fits behind the cladding so that only the socket is exposed?? one of the two available from tone, or the curt??david
    David-

Tone had one made, or modified, "specifically" for the VX in which only the receiver pokes out of the cladding. A lot of owners are very pleased with the looks, stating only a time-consuming/pesky install process.

The Curt hitch bolts on underneath, which some owners don't like strictly for the looks of.

Tone sells both.

I was considering the Curt hitch simply because of an offer on a used one and because it seemed easier to install...but that might not be the case afterall.
    From what Ascinder describes, even this one isn't just an easy add on.