Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Hitch installed!!!

Trailer Hitch installed!!!

Whoo Hoo!

I just got done putting in a factory-perfect looking trailer hitch for my 2001 VX! The dealer said there wasn't one for it, and the custom shops said they couldn't touch it.

$110 dollars and one trip to Wal-Mart later, and I've got a beautiful new trailer hitch behind my car.

Reese makes a universal trailer hitch kit for most cars. The VX of course isn't listed. However, with some easy modifications to both the hitch and the car, you can get it installed easily.

Sorry no photos right now, a bit busy... may post later. I was just excited to share the news

PS: It makes the car look great as it fills the void area beneath the bottom of the car that the design seems to lack.

-Mike

very nicely done. It'd be nice if you could post a picture. Does yours look like Tone's? What's the Part Number? Did you need to drill any holes? Thanks.

Awesome buddy, Tell us everything! Part number, make and who and what mods did you have to do.

I bought this hitch (Reese #37042) and couldn't make it work. What stopped me is, it seems my passenger side tow hook is welded on:

I took the bolt out of the driver's side one and it fell off fine, but when I took the bolt out of the other, the hook wasn't going anywhere. For those with hitches, did anybody run across this problem?

I think I could have got this hitch to work, if that hook would come off. Even the Dalan/Curt #12556 and the Reese #757235 that are supposed to fit the VehiCross require that those be removed. I just don't understand why or how mine could be welded on (original owner/no wrecks).

U-Haul quoted me $357.18 installed with wiring and ball, which is more than I wanted to spend, but I'd imagine even they couldn't get it on if that tow hook won't come off. I know Tone's is my other option, but I'm really not looking forward to that installation, and besides, my new Sea-Doo Speedster will be in soon.

Anybody got a welded tow hook?

-Scott

I believe there are 2 bolts holding that hook on. One on the bottom and one on the side. shawn
    1COOLVX

I have had 2 VX's and used Tone's hitch on both of them. The installation only took a couple hours if you have all the tools with you, and it looks great on. It doesn't look like something hanging down from under the rear, rather an extension of it.

Sorry, turned out the hook was not welded on, but had two extra bolts way up on the end of the frame. The only way to get to them was to take the rear cladding off.

I got the hitch put on, but would NOT recommend it to a friend. I invested 16 hours last weekend to get it on properly. If I knew I would have to do half of what I did to get this on, I would have gone with Tone's from the start. This still involved cutting metal, drilling (of course), and cutting cladding.

On the plus side (besides $110), the kit has brackets that bolt onto the truck, then the hitch bolts onto the brackets, so now that the brackets are firmly in place, it would be just a five minute process to take off the hitch or put it back on, if I'm worried about ground clearance. I agree with someone's comment that it looks aggressive and fills in a void down there, so I don't mind leaving it on, but Tone's would have looked nice too.

(probably should have pulled out of the garage to get a better picture, but it was about to rain)

-Scott

You live and learn, right? It looks great. I used to think the Dylan hitch looked really nice, although I was concerned about losing some ground clearance in the rear. In retrospect, I'm glad I chose to use Tone's hitch. The simple look is really nice, and the install was a snap.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Hitch working out well...

Is it possible to attract even more attention than the VX? Try the VX towing one of these!

Hitch deal

If anyone has been thinking about getting a hitch put on, I just got a Curt brute hitch(class 2.5?) on sale from etrailer.com for $156 shipped. They are the powder coated tube type (I think similar to Tones)and are bolt on for the VX.

Hey, I am going to need one real soon as I am planning to buy a quad. I was planning to go with Tone's hitch because I like how it looks stock and doesn't hang below the cladding. Once you get yours installed, let me know. I was to see it!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    If anyone has been thinking about getting a hitch put on, I just got a Curt brute hitch(class 2.5?) on sale from etrailer.com for $156 shipped. They are the powder coated tube type (I think similar to Tones)and are bolt on for the VX.

No problem Bart!! After looking at it a little more, I think it may be the same one as Tones. His is listed as a curt/dylan, but looking at this one, it appears identical. I don't know if I am going to wire in a harness just yet let alone a brake controller, as I plan on just using it to maybe mount a bike carrier or some such. I think it should take about a week to get here, and since it just bolts on with 6 bolts, it should be pretty quick. I'll PM you once I set it up.

Cool, we can PM CrnCnn too and have another Reno-Mini-Meet.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    No problem Bart!! After looking at it a little more, I think it may be the same one as Tones. His is listed as a curt/dylan, but looking at this one, it appears identical. I don't know if I am going to wire in a harness just yet let alone a brake controller, as I plan on just using it to maybe mount a bike carrier or some such. I think it should take about a week to get here, and since it just bolts on with 6 bolts, it should be pretty quick. I'll PM you once I set it up.

Hey, I am going to need one real soon as I am planning to buy a quad. I was planning to go with Tone's hitch because I like how it looks stock and doesn't hang below the cladding. Once you get yours installed, let me know. I was to see it!
    OK here's the hitch shots.

Now you can do a side by side, or in this case top and bottom comparision if you wonder about ground clearance.