Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to Buy a VehiCROSS

JA:
    Very ....... VERY ....... nice.
    Your VX is nice ...... but does not come close to your 'abode'.
    (is that the correct place to use 'abode' ?).
    The stone/masonry work is especially impressive ...... actually, there so many impressive aspects .........
    and the carport .......... don't get me started ........
    I did not get a chance to review all the pics, but I will .... it gets better and better as I go through them ......
    t2p

That's great! I'm a huge mid-century fan as well. I love George Nelson, Eames, Herman Miller, and many others. I have some pieces that I've started to collect... althought some are reissues (Verner Panton "S" chair, Eames plywood lounge chair... not the recliner!).

Very nice to see others with the same sort of taste!

I studied Architecture in college. I love modern design.
    Steve

I too am a fan of architecture and mid-century design. I own several Herman Miller pieces, as well as some Haywood Wakefield furniture and other items. The house is by no means full of a single period. We have rather eclectic tastes, mixing arts and crafts, deco, art nouveau and mid-century together (sounds weird but it can be made to work). The trick is to use common elements and shapes, plus leave open space. The house itself becomes the cohesive element, so you don't get caught up into specific periods which can be very limiting.

We had lived in our neighborhood for 3 years and had always admired this particular house. When it came on the market, we took the opportunity to buy it - it is slowly transforming into our dream home. After a new roof, new HVAC and landscaping it's finally starting to come together after 2 years of habitation. I'm currently in the process of changing out all the old can-track lighting and replacing it with updated halogens. I've painted all the walls and was staining the ceilings (we replaced a lot of rotten lumber while the roof was off) to match the current stain plus patina when I hurt my back. After 2 months of recuperating it's time to get back to painting the trim. The entire house was painted an institutional lime green with dark green trim. It's now a subdued light gold going to a dark brown trim.

Next I'm replacing windows that have lost their seals, plus I'm changing the doors back to be more like the original doors (they were replaced at some point). My friends keep bugging me as to why I haven't installed the Super Charger I originally bought from Tone when he first offered it - now you can see what I've been spending my time on. So far I've managed to do all the upgrades without taking out any loans - doing most of the work myself or serving as the contracter for larger projects. At least at this point the house is livable. When we first bought the house we had to sleep in the spare bedroom because of the state of disrepair.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

JA:
    I was going to mention the front door ...........
    your house would have been a great candidate for cypress ........
    .... reclaimed cypress from that area ........
    the site and the landscaping look great ........
    the lot where our house sits is almost the exact opposite of yours - the house was (basically) built on a cornfield - the closest trees are probably 60 ft away ....... no shade .......... very little shrubs also ........ so I will be planting for the next few years ........
    t2p

... should have added ......

one part of your property did have a number of fruit trees ....................... but most have died .........
    many were planted in the mid 50's .......... and 60's .............
    I'm still taking out stumps .............

Yup... I really like Haywood Wakefield stuff. My wife and I have been keeping an eye out for a decent priced Haywood Wakefield piece locally.

We have so similar tastes. I love to mix styles... nothing too jumbly, though. We just purchased a nice mahogany dining room table, on sale at Rejuvenation (local Portland lighting/furniture company). I've mentioned something about Eames plywood dining chairs for the table... totally different styles, but it would just look so good!

Speaking of front doors, we have been looking at some. Looks like, for what we want, pre-hung with hardware, removal of old door and install of new door will probabaly be between $2600 - $3000. It could be a LOT more but we are trying to keep the price as low as possible but keep the door as nice as possible! I can't wait! I LOVE new stuff!

I also like HW furniture ......
    don't have one piece though .... rarely - if ever - do I see a good piece at a flea market ........ and I'm a regular at local flea markets ...... usually arrive around 6-6:30 a.m. ..........
    there is a place not-too-far-away from me - in Western PA - that has a good selection of HW furniture:

http://tri-stateantiques.com/heywood-wakefield/

not cheap though .............

I dunno... I don't usually go for all wood furniture. I like diverse use of materials with clean, simple lines.

Here's a custom bed I just ordered from a designer friend, made from bubinga, mirrored stainless, and frosted glass:

http://www.stevenmoseley.com/Contin/bed1.jpg

This is a sample photo (I think mahogany). Mine will be slightly different, but you get a sense of my taste

Gotcha. I use to like nothing but modern... things had to be glass, steel, with a little wood mixed in. Clean, straight lines, different levels... I still like a lot of it, but I found a lot of interest in 50's - 60's modern as well. I like a lot of 30's retro, too... mostly architecture.

I love it all. I love rich woods and stainless. Our (wife and I) re-done kitchen will have stainless steel backsplash all the way around, an LG titanium fridge, and a cement/wood recycled countertop!

I can't believe that you guys paid that much for your VX's I bought mine in Sept of last year with only 5K on it for $16,300

Sorry forget that last post I am new at this whole Forum thing

Originally posted by vxgas
    Sorry forget that last post I am new at this whole Forum thing
    You know, you can delete posts. Just thought I'd mention it since you're new.

I too traveled a journey for our proton VX almost to canada border from NYC spent 1 day driving there and 1 day back - Spent 18,500 for a 5,000 mile 2001 VX - now it has almost 11,000 miles. Wife says it has a bumpy ride, cant see out the back and it attracts alot of lookers. People ask what it is and we tell them its a 2005 isuzu vehicross - get one at the dealership there going fast!! you will have lots of fun with it its a cool truck - good luck
    Larry