Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: will she live?

with a warning or 'dummy' light, the light will (generally) only illuminate when there is a problem .........
    when the oil pressure drops to zero - or close to zero - it will illuminate.
    Not good.
    ....... and - the oil level must be *VERY* low for the oil pressure to read zero .......

thankfully

I have not gotten the super charger mod. it would have voided the warranty.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

Cool

This isn't very helpfull after the fact but worth noting for the future... I use quickie lube shops too, like everyone says...they're convenient. BUT, first thing I do afterwards and before I drive anywhere is pop the hood and check the oil level, takes barely a minute and we've all heard the horror stories of them forgetting to put the oil back in.
    On the flip side..one guy i work with went to a quickie lube and when filling it up, the dispenser malfunctioned and stuck open, the young kid did not know what to do so it kept filling till it overflowed, covered the engine, puked onto the hot manifold and filled the shop with smoke!!! Then they had to drain oil back out and have the engine power washed!! turned out not to be a quickie lube after all.

Did not know that changing the PCV valve affected oil consumption though, good to know..think i'll change mine this afternoon

Pete

PeteVX:
    I believe it was someone on this site that recommended changing the PCV every other oil change ..... might be good advice. Again, not sure whey the PCV requires this much attention, but I plan to replace mine often.
    Also - keep an eye on the EGR valve - and the related 'plumbing'. I have been told this is an area that can lead to trouble when it is not functioning properly.
    t2p

I recently stated that I change my PCV every other, or every third, oil change. I think MANY others do this as well. It's cheap, so why not?

ALWAYS better safe than sorry!

ditto here ............
    meanwhile ...... someone I know has a 99 VX with 100k on it ....... he has not done squat to it ...........
    and not one issue ..........
    zero ...... nada ...... zilch ..........
    100K of trouble free miles ......... and still going strong ........

Lightbulb Only use people you TRUST...

... Or do it yourself. It's the only way to be sure the job is done right, and you know who's arse to kick when things go wrong Try to check your oil whenever you fill your gas tank, it only takes a minute, and you'll be able to identify issues before they become problems. Let's hope there was no serious damage done
    NAVIGATOR

fingers crossed

no noise lately. going to the dealership next friday for a check-up. can anyone recomend how to handle my visit? I'd like to make sure i don't get screwed because i said either the wrong thing or not saying something I should have. Also, would 20's be considered "oversized tires"?

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

I would tell them you saw your check engine light flicker and subsequently heard some knocking... you got very concerned and thought you should quickly get her in for a check-up. Say that you have heard scary stories of other VX'es with the same symptoms leading to engine failure. I think I would be really hard pressed to say anything more that could remotely lead them to put the blame on to you or someone else.

Whether or not it is knocking now, at least in this way it would be on your service records ...

Sorry to hear this happened!
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

If you pull the PCV and shake it, it should rattle freely. If it doesn't with every shake or doesn't rattle at all, it needs replacement. Of course, if you want to change it more often, it's not a bad habit, and why not, since it's only like $3 a pop. So if every other oil change or so helps you remember to do it, that's probably more than necessary, but it certainly can't hurt.

Ditch the tires.
    There is a strong possibility - in the fine print - the use of 'oversize' tires could affect the warranty.

I will help you out by taking those evil wheel & tires off your hands thus preserving the integrity of your warranty. Hey what are friends for!

tires

Do you still have your set of stock tires?
    If you got rid of them already you could use my set for a while. I have stock 18" sitting in a garage and collecting dust. If you are concerned about those 20" vioding your warranty PM me, I'll lend you mine.
    My Other Ride Is a Puma
    www.mwior.com

hhhmmmm........

Well. I still have my old rims. but i need to get regular tires on them. I'm going to ask the guy at Arandas if he'll help me out. I'd just need old tires for the duration of the "operation". anyone in the area who wants to help out can have my MT Baja Claws for the help.

I meant rims and tires altogheter.
    If you need them, come and pick them up.