Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sealed reardoor subwoofer

sealed reardoor subwoofer

I recently had a local shop construct a sealed fiberglass subwoofer enclosure to fit in the rear door. I am very pleased with the result. It is very inconspicuous and takes up no interior storage space. The sound is awesome. There is no comparison between the sound quality of a sealed subwoofer and a free-air subwoofer. Let me know if any of you are interested in one of these. If enough people are interested I could probably get very good price.

pictures

Picture

pictures

This is a 10" JL Audio.

I have the 12" JL. Working that big monster into the rear hatch is part of my plan.... *insert procrastination*.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Re: sealed reardoor subwoofer

Originally posted by UtahVXer
    I recently had a local shop construct a sealed fiberglass subwoofer enclosure to fit in the rear door. I am very pleased with the result. It is very inconspicuous and takes up no interior storage space. The sound is awesome. There is no comparison between the sound quality of a sealed subwoofer and a free-air subwoofer. Let me know if any of you are interested in one of these. If enough people are interested I could probably get very good price.

That's HOT! What kinda price are you talking about! I could really use some BASS! (and I'm not talking about fish).
    Canadian VXer!

Thumbs up Go Sealed!!!

...Free Air was too imprecise. The bass was ragged and muddy. But when I sealed ALL the back wave from the front wave the difference was phenominal, crystal clear precise bass. Mine is a one of a kind creation, simple, inexpensive, yet highly effective
    NAVIGATOR

Thumbs up

That's sweet!

If there is an opportunity for a group-buy, I would certainly be interested in getting in on it. Do you have a ballpark figure on price?

I'm in, Just let us know a price

I'm interested....
    Jkim
    01 black VX
    04 black V40 LSE

It sounds good, but I am worried about cutting into my spare tire cover. That is something you cannot undo.

Originally posted by tomcat837
    It sounds good, but I am worried about cutting into my spare tire cover. That is something you cannot undo.
    A template will be provided to cut the hole. The result doesn't look bad with the generic-looking grille cover. Jay Dunford showed me his in Moab. Check his gallery for pics. It sticks out quite a bit restricting storage and is very noticeable to potential thieves, etc. The beauty of this one is that if anyone looks in they'll just see the stock radio and a generic grille that they may also think is stock. My amp (a 5 channel Alpine) is located out of site, above the jack. You could use a different or even a larger subwoofer but believe me the 10" JL Audio is more than adequate with the sealed enclosure. In fact, I need to turn down the gain on the subwoofer another notch or two. I have no desire to change the in-dash deck. I love the indash changer. (Just wish it played MP3's) The stock speakers are also very good; you notice a big difference with a little more power. Although I might eventually change the front two speakers and dynamatt the doors.

I'm interested

Just so I'm straight here, You put a 5ch Alpine between your stock system and your stock speakers and also your sub?
    Scott / moncha.com

SIGN ME UP. I ALSO CHECKED WITH A LOCAL AUDIO SHOP, QUOTE WAS $600 IT WOULD BE MADE OF FIBERGLASS AND PERFERATED STEAL. IT WOULD BOLT IN WITH THE SPARE TIRE BOLT, HE WAS SUGESTING TAKING OUT THE SPARE AND USING A SPL 12.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW, RIGHT NOW MY 2 12'S TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM, AND CAN GET TOO BOOMY ANY WAYS, THE GAIN IS USUALLY TURNED WAY DOWN.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT GETTING NEW/NEWER BODY PANELS, I MESSED UP THE DRIVER SIED REAR BODY CLADING

I was wondering if the extra weight in the door is causing any unneeded stress on the hinges. Any bad vibrations? Would a rear popper still open the door? With the spare in there what's the maxium depth you have?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in a setup like that but like someone else said, it is kinda permanent.