Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head lights

Head lights

Hello team,

I am ready to purchase new headlight clear covers, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to take them apart or what is needed to put them back together, i.e. bonding compound, silicone, etc.

I would appreciate some assistance on how to accomplish this the easiest possible way, as I am sick and tired of looking at my lights all scratched up, nasty looking, way beyond that polishing compound I purchased.

Thank you,

Julio

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

I know that Ron (vehicrossconcepts.com) has experimented with opening up the assembly but I think it was a mess doing it.
    Last edited by Anita : 05/27/2004 at 10:17 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

From what I understand and believe I've read here you can buy just the clear covers. I think they are about $35 each. If you do a search you should find a write up here on taking them apart. It is not an easy project and requires boiling the assembly to get the glue loose. There was also a concern over what type of glue/epoxy to reattatch them with so that they would not leak. If you do replace yours, please take lots of pics and share your progress with the rest of us whos lenses have hazed! Its definately a lot cheaper to replace the lenses than it is to replace the assembly.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

There is a post - or posts - that describe the steps required to dis-assemble the headlight assembly ....... on this site - or the 'other' site ..... Club V Mag .... or whatever it was called.
    I believe one procedure for removing the headlight lense involved soaking the headlight assy in hot water to 'soften' the adhesive that binds the lens to the assy ........
    or something like that ..........
    I may experiement with 1000 grit sandpaper and plastic polish ....... or is that plastic italian ............
    I have used Novus (brand) plastic polish with great results on other applications ....... maybe it will work on the VX headlight lense ....

I will research further for the process. I already got a quote from St Charles and they are only about 16 dollars a piece. Well worth the effort to change them ourselves, if you ask me. The "soaking process makes sense, now I have to find out what bonding compound to use to put them back together. If I succeed, I will post the process with pics for everyones benefit.

Julio

Cant' wait to hear how it goes....as soon as you post, I think I'll go buy and do the same.

I actually found the old post and I got some ideas. I am going to order the covers next week and begin the project. As soon as I can I will post the process with pics, but I still need to find out what kind of bonding compound I need to use to rebuild them.

Later.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Seal 'em with a thin strip at the outside edge, using clear or black silicone.

When I looked at them they seem to have some kind of grey compaund, and a lot of it all around them. I don't know if regular white or black silicone would be as strong as the stuff they use at the factory. IT would have to be able to withstand extreme heat and cold conditions, weather conditions, and the test of time. I really wouldn't want to redo the silicone every few months or even every couple of years, and the one that is used seems to be very long term. I mean, if I have to boil it to remove it, it has to be pretty darn strong and durable, wouldn't you think?

here's something i have wondered about......you know how the top of the headlite has that little horn that lites up yellow? i wonder if we can buy diff colored lites for there? or make brighter?

did i spend to long at the indy 500 track today or is that an idea?

btw....i was only VX there....lol
    When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.........HST

I changed mine to blue, no problem. You can find green, blue, or red at WalMart or any auto parts store. It is a standard 194 marker bulb - 194B (blue), 194G (green), 194R (red), a couple of dolars at the most. You can even find LED bulbs for about 6 dollars if you want to go brighter.

I hope that helps.

Julio

kool thanks man :>

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Silicone or RTV will work. Make the bead wider if you want. I doubt you will find an exact replacement for factory adhesive as it may be some kind of hot-melt or catalyzed glue.

That makes sense, I will research from what they have at the stores and select the best fit.

Originally posted by LeglizHemp
    here's something i have wondered about......you know how the top of the headlite has that little horn that lites up yellow? i wonder if we can buy diff colored lites for there? or make brighter?
    Guys, guys, GUYS... do a search on this issue. MANY of us have played with different types of bulbs in the horn area. I have tried too high a wattage and melted part of the housing... and I currently have 6 LED bulbs in there and like them.

There is plenty to be found when searched... PLENTY!