Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Well, it happened... BANG.

AlaskaVX:

I hear you.
    The ones that run their VX's hard appear to suffer no problems. They 'run the heck out of them' .......... dyno runs, drag strip, stadium monster truck courses, auto-cross, rally-cross, street race, up impossible looking cliffs ................. no problems.
    And then there are some that putt around and throw rod bearings.
    Go figure.
    I'm getting worried ....... I wonder if my VX was driven hard enough before I purchased it. Where is that gas pedal ? ............ MASH !!!
    Oil control rings ............ are a ring on the piston ........ probably the top or bottom ring on the piston ............. there could be an issue with the placement on the piston - too high or low .......... could be the material - steel instead of iron ............. could be the ring 'fit' - fit of the ring in the land (groove) ............. piston ring too 'tight' ............... could be none of the above - 'urban myth' ..............
    one theory I read on a site that discussed a Trooper engine failure was that the ring fit on the piston was too tight ............. especially could become a problem when the engine was subjected to a large amount of low rpm operation......... and/or infrequent oil changes .......... causing 'buildup' to occur and the ring to 'stick' ........... again, just one persons theory .............,

Angry Stirring it up again?

Wow we have been over this can of worms/oil control ring thing time and time again! Why flog a dead horse?

And unless you are an attorney initiating the action class actions don't benefit litigants much so if you want to sue Isuzu on this file an individual case on contingency - and good luck!

Hey, if MY VX started having engine problems, I'd come on here and start spouting off about it, too. Jeez... give a guy a freakin break.

I believe the 'dead horse is being flogged' ....... again ...........
    because a number of people with a low mileage 30K automobile have experienced an engine failure with a subsequent $5000 repair bill.
    Or something like that.

Exclamation There was a poster

calling for a class action on this several months ago. There is another long long LONG thread about this called VX gone 'bye bye in this forum - you posted in that one too right? Guessing a good idea for everyone to follow the preventive advice in that thread. But the 3.5L having a common generic engine failure problem is a misnomer. If it happens moan all you like but moan to Isuzu and ask them to give you a break.

Tracking?

Good thing about posting on this board about this kind of problem is that the unfortunate owner can show some information that this is some what common by providing posts. Won't hold much but worth a try.

Now if you could prove it by providing VIN numbers of those VX's effected then that will help prove a solid case.

Maybe there should be a special section where owners who have had their engine grenade can post their vin # for tracking purposes.

visconte: as I see you have no problem with articulating your thoughts, I would love to see your reaction to possible engine failure in your VX. Dallas has a point, not just in this thread - let go.

We need to know these type problems, every single one of them, to see if there is a pattern, if there is something that can prevent us from seeing a bill for $6k.
    My VX has almost 37000 miles on the odo. I am watching it very closely. For couple of weeks I experienced a major loss of power, and a grinding noise between third and fourth gear, between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I thought it was my tranny. It turned out my fuel injector system was clogged really badly. Regardless, I was so scared about my engine and tranny I spent some time reading the board closely, and was able to discuss thoroughly any possibilities with my mechanic. I was able to tell him where to look and what to check, and get exact answers from him. That saved me from major heart attack.

Good lesson is learned lesson. If it takes for someone to repeat the info for the fifth time, I'll be glad to read it again. Maybe that fifth time will bring something that I might've overlooked the first four times. Thx you guys.
    My Other Ride Is a Puma
    www.mwior.com

My car drinks oil. It's accepted. Manuf says up to 1 litre/1000 miles worth of consumption is "normal".

And the best part is the Castrol 10W-60 synth for the car costs $9/litre at the cheapest place, up to $13 if you're in a jam.

-Daver
    -Daver

I'm in the midst of working with the dealer now.. just provided my service records, and for good measure wrote a note explaining how I care for the car and that I am the second owner. To whomever said you can't prove what the original owner did, I can.. mine was off lease, and I called the the dealership where the lease was from. I got service records from Jan 2001 (I'm assuming thats when they bought it new) and fortunately, they had all of the oil changes done at the dealership..so I have all of them documented.

As much as I like my vehicle, it is completely unacceptable to have a car that blows an engine at 50K. To those who are saying it isn't, wait until you have a 5-year car loan and within the first year you have to start dealing with a $5K problem that your extended warranty won't cover, and the dealership is waivering on.

I'm fairly certain that after I get it fixed (if its covered), I will probably trade or sell it for another car and give it to my wife, and I'll continue to drive our Honda (which funny enough has 61K miles on it, and we've spent about $9 on.. a headlight bulb).

I will say though, that the Honda isn't as much fun to drive.. but at least its not blowing an engine or using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes like others are experiencing.

Your frustration and disappointment is fully understandable. I've owned Isuzus for 20 years and haven't ever had a major problem, but that doesn't mean failures don't happen. That's just another unfortunate by-product of mass production. And it's probably soured you to Isuzu.

Hopefully you'll make out well on the repairs and sucessfully complete the changes in your auto lineup that works best for your family. You'll be a part of the VX family as long as you want to be and your VX will find a new home that most certainly will appreciate the care you've given it and all the documentation as well.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

billh23:
    Bummer for sure. But attempt to be optimistic ...... relax ...... you are starting to sound like I do at times ......
    I'm sure ..... just about sure that is ..... that you will be 'covered' - by Isuzu - or at the least, your extended warranty. Isuzu should cover this - but if they don't, I do not understand why the extended warranty would not cover it ..... what good is the extended warranty then ? ..........
    The good news is - that after this issue has been resolved - you will have a VX with a new engine - or shortblock. Plus, the new engine/shortblock/whatever should have a warranty .... and/or your extended warranty should still be in effect.
    A VX with a 'new' engine ....... ??? Sounds good to me. Why get rid of it ?
    btw: I have driven Hondas since the early 80's ... had at least one in the driveway since then ... they are great automobiles - but they have not produced anything like the VX .......

my baby

she just got towed today. i should get word from the dealer soon. I have an extended warranty also but they said that they need to assesss the problem and then let me know if Isuzu will cover it. So, I'm nervous too. I wondering WTF kind of warranty I have that won't cover a problem that is listed as covered. I know I might have to dig up all the records but since it has always been a write off you can damn well be sure I have everything somewhere and can pull a simple spread from Quickbooks.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

damn i am nervous. I drive my vx everyday love it to death but, it has hit 50,000 and some change miles. Oil gets changed every 3 thousand miles but, I have only had it since it was at 46,000 miles. So... I am very nervous about this.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Since we dont have a crystal ball to look into the past (if we are the second/third owner) or the future, preventative care should be the foremost concern.

Schedule change of oil.. I go every 3000 religiously since I bought her new). Checking that oil stick in between oil changes. I keep a real close maintenance eye at the PCV and EGR and perhaps the MAF.

For the good of the members, is there anything else that should be included?
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

I just change my PCV valve every other oil change. It's just too cheap to forget about!