Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Well, it happened... BANG.

Thumbs up

royal purple is 67.00 a case

Evanston Isuzu

Rob Paddor's Evanston Isuzu. Actually, just do a google for rob paddor and the dealership will come up. they were quicker than i expected but they should have caught it the first time i brought it in.

How's you baby doin' Mr.Iman?
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

he was just telling me about the best stuff you can buy
    Amsoil does show up on just about every chart or test on top .....
    but I'm still a Mobil 1 type .... if Mobil 1 was/is good enough for the Honda F1 teams, it is good enough for me .....
    or something like that !

Re: slow down there

Originally posted by doubleadesign
    Slow down there...
    Hey, I'm just saying it would be a bad idea. This statement coming from someone in an auto service department is definitely interesting. If an every-day-Joe that didn't know much about cars, and decided to start doing his own oil changes, heard this he may try it. It may not yield the best circumstances.

AMSoil being "the best stuff you can buy" is somewhat opinion, somewhat fact. I've used AMSoil in the past and, although it is a great motor oil, Mobil 1 (in my opinion), including all factors, is just as good. I wouldn't run either for more than 6k-7k miles in a consumer vehicle, though... that is MY opinion.

Re: Re: dealer/stock car racer

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    This is funny... a person in the service department telling someone that just had their engine replaced that, if they use AMSoil, they would usually only need to change their oil once a year? Hilarious and completely and utterly wrong! Would ANYONE seriously go 15k miles on one single oil change?

I know because of new enigne warranty reasons that you have to change it every 3k miles, which is definitely encouraged, but can you imagine someone actually believing this guy... changing their oil once in a year, then bringing it back with a problem?

"Eh, the service manager said if I use AMSoil I only need to change my oil once a year. Yeah, I went around 20k this year and changed it in June... so why do I hear scraping in the engine compartment all the time??? What? You say it's my fault? Well, your service manager SAID I didn't have to change it but once a year... so why do I have to pay ANOTHER $5k for ANOTHER engine?"
    http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html

SERVICE LIFE

In personal cars and light-duty trucks with non-turbocharged gasoline engines: change the oil at 35,000-mile or one-year intervals, whichever comes first

I've got 12k miles on mine in 6 months, no sign of color change, or burn off. Oil Analysis was done on a sample and it is still well within the limits. it's not 1950 anymore.

8 bucks a quart.
    Jeff
    former 2000 Proton owner
    Lehigh Valley, PA

That's great. Hey, it's up to you on your oil change interval. Again, and ESPECIALLY on a car under warranty (not that yours is or isn't), I wouldn't go that long with changing the oil.

Re: Re: dealer/stock car racer

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    I know because of new engine warranty reasons that you have to change it every 3k miles,

HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? My owners manual says to change it every 8000 miles. What does yours say? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? I thought only car nuts that wash and wax their cars every weekend change the oil that often. Did you really mean that it's necessary for the warranty, or just that you can't possibly change the oil TOO often?

P.S. I love the new Avatar dude!
    Canadian VXer!

Originally posted by mrtew
    HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? Did you really mean that it's necessary for the warranty
    Doubledesign has to change his oil every 3k miles because of warranty reasons regarding his BRAND NEW ENGINE (below).

...but since i need to change it every 3k for warranty purposes
    But... I do change mine around 5k miles or 4 months, which ever comes first.

actually mine is running fine except for the check engine light coming on every other week. Got new OEM blings. Going to put my sway bar disconnects on this weekend.

Re: Re: Re: dealer/stock car racer

Originally posted by mrtew
    HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? My owners manual says to change it every 8000 miles. What does yours say? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? I thought only car nuts that wash and wax their cars every weekend change the oil that often.

<-----Car nut! Also most oil change places give you a mileage and a TIME interval for oil changes....like 3,500 miles or 3 months...whichever comes first...

just my opinion...but since my VX is a pleasure vehicle and takes about 3 months to get 3,000 miles I've always changed it at this interval...my Fiero on the other hand is a work car and I change it about every 4 - 5,000 miles.

Also if you check your owners manual you will see that there is a severe usage section that says something to the effect of changing it in half the normal interval if you tow alot, do alot of stop and go driving (and I would throw in sustained high speed driving).

I also hate seeing dirty oil on my dipstick...so usually about 3,000 miles it looks noticably darker than when new where it is hard to see on the stick!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

new engine

i hope i got one of the better gas milage ones. i just filed up so we'll see how long this tank lasts!

Post Re: new engine

i hope i got one of the better gas milage ones. i just filed up so we'll see how long this tank lasts!
    Don't forget...that an engine breaking in will use more fuel due to the tight tolerances that haven't "worn-in" yet!

HI--WHAT HAPPENED WITH GETTING YOUR NEW ENGINE? I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MINE ALSO BUT I HAVE ALMOST 100K ON HER BUT SHE MAKES A KNOCKING NOISE NOW & I DO HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY BUT I REFUSE TO HAVE ISU WORK ON ANYTHING OF MINE AGAIN--THEY'RE ********-AND OF COURSE DON'T LIKE WARRANTY WORK APPARENTLY--THY'VE ALWAYS BEEN REAL HATEFUL TO ME--I LOVE MY TRUCKLETT BUT I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ISU

new engine and warranty

i had my insurance pay for towing.
    they told me to gather up my receipts for oil changes and service. i had about 90% of them. i had more than enough proof.
    they ordered a new engine and it was done in less than a week.
    i don't like dealers either but this was the best experience i've ever had. i braced myself for the worst. and i couldn't believe how nice they were and helpful. i'm still afraid to roll in on my 20's though. i change to my 16's for dealer visits.

doubladesign,

Do you change your own oil? Will changing your own oil void your warranty, or is that good enough for them if you show receipts?
    Steve