AlaskaVX:

I hear you.
The ones that run their VX's hard appear to suffer no problems. They 'run the heck out of them' .......... dyno runs, drag strip, stadium monster truck courses, auto-cross, rally-cross, street race, up impossible looking cliffs ................. no problems.
And then there are some that putt around and throw rod bearings.
Go figure.
I'm getting worried ....... I wonder if my VX was driven hard enough before I purchased it. Where is that gas pedal ? ............ MASH !!!
Oil control rings ............ are a ring on the piston ........ probably the top or bottom ring on the piston ............. there could be an issue with the placement on the piston - too high or low .......... could be the material - steel instead of iron ............. could be the ring 'fit' - fit of the ring in the land (groove) ............. piston ring too 'tight' ............... could be none of the above - 'urban myth' ..............
one theory I read on a site that discussed a Trooper engine failure was that the ring fit on the piston was too tight ............. especially could become a problem when the engine was subjected to a large amount of low rpm operation......... and/or infrequent oil changes .......... causing 'buildup' to occur and the ring to 'stick' ........... again, just one persons theory .............,