Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, it happened... BANG.

Well, it happened... BANG.

I started the VX up on Monday morning to go to work, and it started rough, then made this horrible grinding noise.. then RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP. I drove real slow thinking it was something was dragging or something.. nope. Pulled over by the gas station down the block, and checked under the hood. Nothing appeared wrong. Pulled the dipstick just to see if anything was unusual. nope.. maybe a bit low, but probably less then a half-quart. I bought a quart and put in a little more then half in. Restarted the engine and still.. RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP.. real loud now. I drove really really slow into work (I'm only 3 miles away). By the time I got to work it was louder. I called service and made an appt for the next day. I ended up having to drive it the 10 miles to the dealer.. noise getting worse and worse. By the time I got to the dealers door, it was a pretty loud RAP by now. I got a call about 3 hours after getting back to work. "You need a short block, a rod bearing went out and the piston rod is slipping". I have 52K miles on it, and have used semi-synthetic oil, and probably never went over 4K between changes. I am not the original owner, I bought it with 29K on it. The dealer is telling me its still covered under the original power train warranty, which is good -- but he is also telling me that Isuzu will only grant the OK to do the work on a case-by-case basis. I guess they need to look at your service records and then determine if they think it was mfg or customer fault. I have an extended warranty as well, but I gues it doesn't cover things that are already covered by the mfg warranty?? So I guess as it stands, I am waiting to hear back from Isuzu if they will let the dealership to the warranty work or not. I really hope I don't screwed, because it doesn't make a lot of sense why I should pay for a silly failure like this.. I mean, is replacing complete engines a 50,000 mile service item??

Sorry to hear about that. Search for Engine failure. Coachreed and VX959 has had the same problem with 959 getting his engine replaced. They have detailed their experience on past threads. Coach decided to install an LS1 vette engine.

BTW Coach how's it going?

Angry same here

mine goes in on Monday after they told me a while back everything was fine. Now I'm going to have it towed in. It has 51+k on it. Maybe you can use this type of data to back your story up. I might need to. we both have the same problem at the same mileage. crap.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

Question worth a try

BillH23,

If the dealer decides to change the engine it might not hurt to ask for the Direct Injection engine V6 from the New Isuzu SUVs.

Still a V6 but you get 250 HP and better MPG. The swap might be too troublesome for the dealer but worth a try in asking.

Re: worth a try

Originally posted by azskyrider
    BillH23,

If the dealer decides to change the engine it might not hurt to ask for the Direct Injection engine V6 from the New Isuzu SUVs.

Still a V6 but you get 250 HP and better MPG. The swap might be too troublesome for the dealer but worth a try in asking.
    Yea right you mean Isuzu actually doin something cool like that, sorry man but keep dreamin. I think he will be lucky to get the warrenty to cover it at all since Isuzu has become such ******** for any type of warrent work or any service for that matter. I love my Axiom but i will NEVER buy another Isuzu as long as i live.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Wow, is this a common thing to happen? Now I'm a bit nervous....I got 34k on mine, about to drop a SC into it(knowing the warentee is void after the install).

So, how do you keep an eye on that?
    Draftsman of the dead

Well its more a design flaw in our engines than anything, we have poor oiling. About the only thing you can do is stay up on your oil changes or if you get really ambitious you could have your crank cross drilled for better oiling and replace the bearings with something better.
    Last edited by morgan-tec : 06/16/2004 at 05:03 AM

Angry Luck of the draw...

No engine is perfect and if a car is consistently pushed or abused who knows what will happen? Not saying you did that, but the car did have 29K on it when you bought it and unless you knew a detailed history any number of earlier issues can lead to a problem like that. Bottom line being that the 3.5 has a very good reputation for reliability when consistntly maintained.

Really?

Originally posted by morgan-tec
    Well its more a design flaw in our engines than anything, we have poor oiling. About the only thing you can do is stay up on your oil changes or if you get really ambitious you could have your crank cross drilled for better oiling and replace the bearings with something better.
    Not sure I agree on the "poor oiling", earlier engines had a different design oil control ring but does this equate to poor oiling?

Bottom line being that the 3.5 has a very good reputation for reliability when consistntly maintained.
    I would change that to past tense ....... change 'has' to 'had' .....

I have 37K on mine (2001 Proton) and when I brought it to Isuzu for new rear shocks, they told me that I was still under warranty (also have an extended for down the road) but because I'm the 2nd owner, the powertrain warranty is void. I never heard of that. The extended plan I have covers the total vehicle so that's a gives a bit of comfort. Please let us know how you make out on the new engine.

The Isuzu Powertrain warranty was 10yrs/120k for the original owner (on a 2001 VX).
    The Isuzu Powertrain warranty is 'then halved' for the subsequent owner - 5yrs/60k.
    I received this information from Isuzu - called them via the US 800 number.

I believe the warranty is set to expire based on the 'service date' - the date the vehicle was put into service. Isuzu can provide you with this date.

Originally posted by t2p
    The Isuzu Powertrain warranty was 10yrs/120k for the original owner (on a 2001 VX).
    Are you saying it's non-transferable?! I got my VX used. Am I not covered?
    Steve

transio- you are a subsequent owner see line 2

Originally posted by jayfotos Wow, is this a common thing to happen? Now I'm a bit nervous....I got 34k on mine, about to drop a SC into it(knowing the warentee is void after the install).
    Ya know it's funny, but I don't think any S/Ced VX's have had any engine problems. Does the SCer replace the "oil drain rings" that are known to be bad? Only things you can do is to check your oil often (around every 1,000 miles) and replace your PCV valve which seems to be what makes the oil burn.

I put the S/C on right around 40,000 miles and am now over the 60,000 mile mark- 0 problems. I am a pretty abusive driver also, drag racing, offroading, creek crossing, etc.
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 06/16/2004 at 11:34 AM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Originally posted by AlaskaVX
    transio- you are a subsequent owner see line 2

Ya know it's funny, but I don't think any S/Ced VX's have had any engine problems. Does the SCer replace the "oil drain rings" that are known to be bad? Only things you can do is to check your oil often (around every 1,000 miles) and replace your PCV valve which seems to be what makes the oil burn.

I put the S/C on right around 40,000 miles and am now over the 60,000 mile mark- 0 problems. I am a pretty abusive driver also, drag racing, offroading, creek crossing, etc.
    Another point of view:

"Engine has a SERIOUS design flaw. There is a service bulletin out on how to test the engine in case of oil consumption. What Isuzu doesn't tell you is that the engine design tightened up the piston ring tolerances to the point that the piston rings can become locked into the piston and allow oil to get into the combustion chamber, thus burning oil without the owner knowing. When this happens, oil consumption can increase to 1 qt every 800 miles.

The vehicle was due for an oil change and the "check oil" light came on. There was no oil on the dipstick. Immediately after the oil was changed the very next day, a "tick" and a "knock" were now in evidence. Prognosis is the tick is a lifter and the knock is a main or connecting rod bearing. Cheapest quote for repair is $4400 for a motor and $1500 labor."

Isuzu recommends ck oil every other gas fill up which equates to about every 600 miles, I find that intolerable, as that kind of oil consumption would certainly indicate a manufacturers defect.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...zu_engine.html

Time for a class action law suit.

Bob F
    Last edited by Green Dragon : 06/16/2004 at 12:42 PM
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers