Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Morgan-Tec intake finished, fit, and tested!

Talking Morgan-Tec intake finished, fit, and tested!

Well i finished the prototype today and did some testing. It is the exact same intake as i build for the Axiom but has a different mounting bracket. This intake comes with Hose Tecniques silicone couplers, stainless steel hose clamps and T bolt clamps, Stainless steel Rezton cone filter and shipping to the Us for $200. I also offer powdercoating for $40. This kit did 10.5hp at the tires on the dyno on my Axiom and i would asume the same on the Vehicross. I also redesigned it a little after taking a verbal lashing about the initial design. Now there is less restriction on the main bend due to the larger # of sections. The tube is made from 304 Stainless steel 3" tubing. Please feel free to ask any ? you may have. To place an order please Pm me or go to my site www.morgan-tec.com Here are some installed pics.

Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Thumbs up

Nice work!

Thumbs up

nice workmanship

Thumbs up

Looks really nice! You might want to see if anybody would be also interested in a version that fits supercharged VX's as well!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

heat shield

How about a heat shield to go with it, separating the filter from the engine compartment?

I looked into doin that on my Axiom and just gave up since getting it to seal against the hood would be a little bit of a challenge. It is completly possible but i do not have plans as of now to do that.

Heat Shield

I have a K&N on my other truck. They use a tubular "gasket" across the top of the heat shield which compresses against the hood when you close it. See pic .
    Last edited by UtahVXer : 06/19/2004 at 09:11 PM

Question Stainless steel Rezton cone filter...

How do these things stack up against stock filters/ aftermarket "washable" filters?

Looks like a very cool mod, and I would be interested in adding this to my VX if, in addition to the added Hp, I was sure it could keep feeding clean air (even off-road).
    Oh... and the hood needs to be able to close!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Re: Stainless steel Rezton cone filter...

Originally posted by nocturnalVX
    AH YES! That, my friend, WOULD be nice... considering the HotShots/Moody fiasco. I'm sure Mike has that all in check. Both intakes are a similar design, but I like the looks of this one more... I've never been much of a chrome/bling kinda guy.

Lightbulb

Well folks, what you see is the first VX Morgan-Tec intake which I'll be testing and reviewing once the powder coating is complete. I will be fabricating a heat shield for it as well and will take plenty of photos and provide plans once complete. Stay tuned!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Re: Stainless steel Rezton cone filter...

Originally posted by nocturnalVX
    How do these things stack up against stock filters/ aftermarket "washable" filters?

Looks like a very cool mod, and I would be interested in adding this to my VX if, in addition to the added Hp, I was sure it could keep feeding clean air (even off-road).
    These filters use a stainlees steel screen for the filtering duties. Which means that it will stay cleaner a lot longer than a gauze filter. And if it ever does need cleanning just simply throw it in the dishwasher and then reinstall when dry. The filtration is comperable to that of a K&N and i have had no problems with it on for a year now.

And yes the hood does close and clears everything by at least 1.5".....;Dr;
    Last edited by morgan-tec : 06/20/2004 at 12:54 PM

I'm wondering if it still wouldn't be a good idea to buy one of these without powdercoat and send it out to be ceramic-coated; especially if Joe Black (or anybody else on their own) creates a heat shield for the cone-filter.

I like the look of the powdercoat but still would like to go the ceramic-coat route...perhaps powdercoating afterwards for aesthetics.

I've even given some thought to perhaps running naca ducts to the cone filter which would have a heat shield between the filter and engine and ceramic coating on the intake-tube to motor?

Perhaps run Naca Ducts from the grille holes adjacent to the turn signals under the main grille or create vents on the front cladding or pull in cool air from behind bumper somewhere???

If you are concerned with the possibility of the tube heating up and acting like a heat sink then you could caramic coat it if you want. The powder coating will act as somewhat of a shield but not as good as a true ceramic coating. I also do have access to tigh temp colors which do insulate a little more than standerd colors.

Lightbulb

The amount of heat encountered underhood, especially where the intake tube is located, just isn't that critical. Sure, you could shave a few degrees of the intake charge, but a ceramic coating will stabilize at ambient which is what you're trying to avoid. You have to remember how ceramic coatings block heat, as they're priamrily designed for exhaust applications. For the short run of our intake and the lack of direct or radiant heat sources you just won't see any benefit from a ceramic coating. Remember, you're trying to fight ambient temperatures. You'd need some magic wrap to actively cool the intake.

Pull cooler air from the hole in the inner fender and just replace the stock airbox with one that holds a cone in it. Cooler air coming in from the hole is better than insulating warmer air with ceramic coat (probably cheaper too) plus- no hood seal.