Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rubber Headlight Gasket

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

I'm with Jolly Roger, though I didn't use GE, I did use clear silicone & it's been over 3 yrs.

Thumbs up

I get the idea of using the silicone sealer, but what did you use as instead fo the original rubber gasket? materials and size, or approximate would be helpful. Mine were gone when I bought my VX in January, and it really doesn't bother me other than when it's raining water does have a tendency to find it's way under the hood around the headlights. Thanks for your help.

So is there any harm in just going without them?

Smile

Mine were still there but falling off after 1-1/2 years of ownership...so I used clear RTV to re-install them. As others have mentioned in previous posts 3M makes a weatherstripping adhesive too for this purpose.

As far as I know the purpose of the gaskets was primarily to prevent wind noise (aka whistling) from air rushing in around the headlights at highway speed. Also seem to help with rain entering engine compartment too.

For those of you that are missing them and would like to try and buy them I suggest calling St. Charles Isuzu for price/availability.

http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

I found that going without my passenger side gasket for a while was causing excess rainwater to get in and it was causing some minor rusting of some metal areas. It possibly aided in the failure of my battery as well, according to the tech that worked on my VX last. I have since replaced that entore headlight assembly and since I had the VX stripped down, I pulled just about every screw, nut, and bolt under the hood and greased them up before replacing.

Also, I pulled the gasket off of the unreplaced headlgith since it was already peeling back and I cleaned the headlight and gasket up really well. Instead of silicone this time, I went ahead and tried a high strength 2 sided tape from 3M. I lined the entire inside of the gasket with it and rethreaded it around the headlight. Let's just say it is so damned strong that I couldnt get it back off when I tried, heh. I appears to be a promising approach.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Smile Headlight gaskets

Well, after searching just about every parts site I could find online and sending emails to some of them, including St.Charles, I just decided to find some rubber gasket material at one of the local car parts stores. I went to the closest one first, O'Reilly's, and found 10 ft. of 3/4" rubber gasket material with the flat side holding 3M tape. After working it around, without taking anything off from around, the headlights (after starting I thought it might have been a mistake) I think it looks pretty good. At some point I will do it again, now that I know what I'm doing, and avoid causing a couple of small rips in the rubber. It sure will keep out any water , which was the purpose of doing it in the first place. Thanks for your help.

Question

I replaced mine at the dealer...it was covered by the warranty, but they didn't last. The adhesive came undone rather quickly. Any suggestions?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    I replaced mine at the dealer...it was covered by the warranty, but they didn't last. The adhesive came undone rather quickly. Any suggestions?
    Ummmmm...I suggest you read all the earlier posts in this thread.