Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brake rotor issues

Brake rotor issues

Had a vibration in the back end on braking. Pulled a wheel and whoa...brake rotor is just disintegrating. Pads aren't even half worn. Replaced both rear rotors and put ceramic pads on. Checked front and same thing is starting to happen up there. Anybody know of any defects, or have a similar situation? I'm kind of baffled as to what could have caused the rotors to break down, as the pads were actually in pretty darn good shape aside from the grooves cut in them from the rotors. I only have 28k miles. Along related lines, anybody replaced the front rotors yet? They look a little screwy and a walkthrough on removing them would be helpful. Thanks in advance----
    Stick with what works.

same stuff here... was told that rears can not be saved... fronts were re-surfaced.. pads were 60-70 % good.. rotors -junk... mine were like that from day one - Isuzu just put in there rotten steel
    Andrey

At least the replacements aren't that expensive. Thanks for the reply. Did you replace them yourself or did you have them done?

I had it done by a shop nearby (not Isuzu dealer - no way !) I ve decided to change the pads also got OEM Isuzu (if I was doing breaks at 30K anyway) rears were replaced with $36 a pop aftermarket rotors. They do just fine. NOw I am thinking if I should've replaced fronts too at this price ???? OEM rotors are made of different material I think as after re-surface you can see the difference in metal. They are very expencive from the dealer.

Re: Brake rotor issues

Originally posted by hitnrun74
    Had a vibration in the back end on braking. Pulled a wheel and whoa...brake rotor is just disintegrating. Pads aren't even half worn. Replaced both rear rotors and put ceramic pads on. Checked front and same thing is starting to happen up there. Anybody know of any defects, or have a similar situation? I'm kind of baffled as to what could have caused the rotors to break down, as the pads were actually in pretty darn good shape aside from the grooves cut in them from the rotors. I only have 28k miles. ----
    Just curious, but what visible signs or what did you see that was this bad with your rear rotors? As in details.....with them disintegrating?

Once they get dirty or old, it's hard to tell what you should and shouldn't see.
    Just wondering because my brakes all together have not been working too well for stopping power and always squeak so dam loud in the morning.

same thing happened on mine...pads are fine. ordered new rotors all around...pain in the ***, mine went at 16k miles

I put front rotors (89$ each from advanced auto parts) on and new pads this weekend. Went with the ceramic pads (35.00 for the set, came with new anti-rattle pads and slide lube), what a difference. My old rotors looked kind of rusty on the brake surface which is never a good sign. They had some horrible grooves cut in them. You could actually pick apart the face of the rotor with your fingernail. I would advise anyone who has sqeaks, squeals or vibration to inspect them. I did the serpentine belt and oil change this weekend too. Also got rid of my stock head unit and cd changer that was broke a couple weeks ago. I put in an Alpine mp3 head and added an 8 inch bazooka. What a difference! Anybody still running the stock head should really think about retiring it. Never really realized how badly this car needed some bass. Circuit City did the install for me, took less than 2 hours and the only thing they didn't have was a ground loop isolator (the guy didn't know what it was). I picked one up at Rat Shack. Anyways, thanks for the replies and go check your brakes!!!

I had the same problems with my rear rotors @ 30,000 miles. I've replaced the rotors all around with power slot rotors. Also replaced the pads with EBC ones. I'm very happy with the change.

Wink

The Isuzu Rotors are crap and will rust and disintegrate to *shame on you* somewhere between 25k-50k Miles. I replaced all of mine with custom Drilled/Slotted performance rotors and also Akebono HP ceramic brake pads, I couldnt be happier . . .and you gotta love those slots and holes in the rotors for a high performance look . . .Now if I could only find me some Big Red Calipers
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -

Gee Crazy Fool, mine and others have lasted over 100K and have driven in rally,race, and high speed driver's ed situations - where do you get your info (disintegrate? Never seen that) and how about the part numbers for the great ones you've added and the new stopping distances you have achieved. How about dust? I;ve tired over a dozen pads and they all dust so bad and offer little if any better performance. Bet you still have your stock rubber lines....

Gotta go with Tone on this one.

After 3 separate isuzu's, I've tried all manner of Rotors and the OEM ones work the best. The old 89 trooper would go through rotors in 3 months flat if I didn't use OEM.

I've been told that the best (and only one needed really) upgrade for the brake system is the steel braided lines. No more mushy pedal.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Thumbs up

94,000 miles with the original brake pads & rotors.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Tone , just because yours are in good shape does not mean everyones should be.you are to quick to rip into people because you know everything about everything.
    Must be some of us got good ones and some of use got the bad ones. mine are junk. and have been for the past 10,000 miles . i have 68,000 miles on my vx.also when i bought it the fronts were sopposedly replaced due to warping. that was at 15,000 miles. i have also switched to ceramic pads and have very little dust. shawn
    1COOLVX

Mine lasted 78k, the rotors were still good, but pads were done. I replaced the rotors and the pads though as I wanted the contact to be perfect. I got mine from Napa for around $50 I think. I've definitely heard more praise about the factory brakes than problems, maybe a couple were bad, who knows.

Also... follow the searches on doing the front wheel bearings, they go throught all the detail needed to remove the hub, which the rotor is attached to. Be careful taking the hub off of the rotor, as I stripped one of the hex bolts and had to drill the head off the old bolt and get some new ones.. M6 is the size for the thread btw, but I don't know the length at the moment... hopefully you don't need to do that.. putting the pads on is the same as any car. Have fun, it's a great thing to know how to do... saves you lot's of $$$ and you get the bearings repacked at the same time.
    Last edited by driver3 : 07/07/2005 at 01:38 PM Reason: adding more info

Same here, had to replace my rear rotors under 30,000 miles!!!, they were real crap from Isuzu!

I realized there was a problem when I was traveling 60MPH down hill towards a light and before I knew it , it changed red and I slamed on the brakes but the truck didnt stop and I slid right through the intersection and red light. Lucky I didnt get hit. Thats when I brought it in for a brake job!

I didnt put on fancy replacements, maybe I should have. The braking/stopping power is much better but still not great.
    "MARS ATV"
    NASA's Martian Surface Exploration All Terrain Vehicle Prototype