Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PowerVault PV2 Way Too Loud

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PowerVault PV2 Sucks *****

Ok, it may add a few horsepower. It could add 50 hp for all I care and I still wouldn't want it! I just put it on today and it sounds like *****. It's like a ricer on steroids. My VX is now (with the aid of the PV2) by far the worst sounding automobile I've ever encountered. I honestly think it would sound better with NO muffler.

I spent all day fabricating a sweet Y splitter to come off the back of this thing so I could have dual tips and getting it mounted into place. Now I just want to toss it. I'm so pissed!!! I should have known it would sound awful just by looking at it. I guess I was hoping for too much.

I'm going to go tomorrow and get a new muffler and install it. Something that actually muffles, and isn't just an open tube. I really hate this thing that bad. Since I already spent my budget on it, I'm actually going to have to dip into my savings to do this!

If anyone wants to buy a PV2 that will slide in to your stock spot, and has a custom Y fabricated off the back, send me a PM. BE WARNED, THOUGH !!! This muffler doesn't muffle sh*t !! It's false advertising even calling it a muffler !!!

Tirade over. Flame away.
    Steve

PS - anyone have any suggestions on what muffler I should get? I was thinking about a FlowMaster 50 series so I can get the dual tips with some nice resonance. Anyone have any experience w/ it?

have u tried it with the stock tip? i dont kno wat ur definition or rice is but mine doesnt sound bad, it is loud tho....
    ________
    Park Royal 2 Condos Pattaya
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:32 PM

I Sold my PV2 after my gf said it sounds like the hillbilly's car down the street .Installed a "Magnaflow" slightly quieter.I do miss the hypnotic bottle droning sound.
    Last edited by redline : 01/18/2005 at 12:24 AM Reason: spelling

My PV1 does not sound ricey at all. I think the PV2s are much louder - the first one I heard sounded like it had an exhaust/manifold leak. The tip does seem to make a difference.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I have a PV1, Its a little louder than stock, but not bad.

I've heard someones VX with the PV2 on it, and dual tips. VERY LOUD. I put a sneaker over one tip, and it quieted down some, but it was still way too loud for my taste.

John C.

This muffler sounds like it has a leak.

The muffler is fine, it just sounds like crap.

Anyhow, I'm gonna see what I can do tomorrow.

I didn't try it w/ stock parts because I cut them up and tossed them. I was planning to do the dual thing, remember?

Anyhow, if anyone wants this PV, let me know

pv2

I have a PV2 and it is great. If you use the stock tip it megaphones the sound and is not cool at all. The tip really makes all the difference in the world. I found a 10$ 3" tip at a flea market and it sounds ALOT better.

My PV2 is mounted directly in the middle of where stock muffler was...the guy welded pipe to each side to meet up with stock pipe. Plus the way you drive makes a big difference too...start out with just enough gas to not make the PV2 sound like tin cans slapping together. After awhile the sound will mellow abit...each PV is unique.

I have no tip on right now. It's just the muffler. I didn't bother putting tips on because it just sounds that bad. Why finish the thing when I'm gonna take it out tomorrow? Anyhow, I'll never like that sound. I'm just gonna get a Flowmaster 50 and be done with it.

If you dont have a tip on it, then that is probably why it sounds like *****. The tip makes a huge difference on the pv2. If your running a stock tip, it will be very loud, do to no restriction on air flow. When you go with a smaller tip it quites down quite a bit.

If you spent all that time fabbing up stuff, then I'd finish it and see what it sounds like before starting all over again. But, thats just me.

Good luck!

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Read you can quiet it down by installing backwards.

Also, it quiets over the first 30 days but it is significantly louder than the PV1.

I realize that a tip will quiet it down quite a bit. But not enough to change my mind about it. It will always sound like rice to me.

transio PS - anyone have any suggestions on what muffler I should get? I was thinking about a FlowMaster 50 series so I can get the dual tips with some nice resonance. Anyone have any experience w/ it?

Alrite yeah PV Does suck uhh, Well my advice go with the Flowmaster 50 series dual mufflers stainless pipes at 3-1/2" pipes from front to back with a alsome sound that you cant get no where else

call me and see or here my vxxy

609-502-5487
    alex

VX-King,

Do you mean 2-1/2" ?

I was thinking of getting the smaller FM-50 - the one that's 2-1/4" in and dual 2" out. The biggest is 3" in and dual 2.5" out. Maybe I should go w/ that one since I now have 16 feet of 2.5" pipe sitting in my garage!