Thread: Seat back adjuster knob - FALLS OUT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seat back adjuster knob - FALLS OUT

Friend was getting out of the back seat today, and he accidentally caught the seatback adjustment knob with his pants and the thing just pulled right out of the seat. The long toothed rod just came right out. After lunch I just stuck it back in, but does anyone have any idea how to keep it there? Superglue?
    2000 Black VX 105k

Unhappy

Wow, I really hope that it wasn't me (and you are being nice)

-Tad

no it wasn't you. heh.

I'm being nice because its all covered under the warranty. Better I find all the defects now than next month

Phew!

The long toothed rod just came right out. After lunch I just stuck it back in, but does anyone have any idea how to keep it there? Superglue?
    I believe a circular shaped retainer (clip ... whatever) is used to prevent the shaft (rod ... whatever) from backing out .........

I had that problem when my VX was new and they ordered a new knob for me. That one fell off too and I almost lost it so I glued it on with some silicon stuff like you'd make fish tanks with. It's still stuck on there but the seat still doesn't seem like it's totally held together right like it should be but now I feel like I can't take it back because of my own fix it job. I'd let them fix it under warrantee if you can.
    Canadian VXer!

I believe the issue was with the rod - not the knob - but speaking of the adjustment knob ....
    The seat back adjustment knob can fit on to the shaft a number of ways (based on the splines), but it only attaches one way correctly.
    When placed on the shaft correctly, it will fit 'all the way' on to the shaft (close to the seat) and 'snap' into/onto the detent. Adhesive should not be required.
    After spending a few minutes 'checking out' the VX Recaro seats, I am less than impressed. Two myths exposed: 1 - the high quality of Recaro seats .... and 2 - Recaro seats are manufactured in Italy .... actually, Recaro is a German company ....

I finally got it back on yesterday after work with no adhesive. But I do feel like its prone to getting kicked off again.

If anyone's come up with a home-style fix for this, please inform me. I don't want to spend 15 minutes threading those knobs back on the splined rod again every time someone sits in the back.

I don't want to spend 15 minutes threading those knobs back on the splined rod again every time someone sits in the back.
    Maybe I spent too many hours listening to King Crimson ...... (just listen to Deer Magnet !) ............ ???
    but I belive the adjustment knobs do not thread on to the rod - but (instead) push on to the rod ........... and there will be an audible 'snap' when the knob is installed properly and fully ......

Originally posted by t2p
    Maybe I spent too many hours listening to King Crimson ...... (just listen to Deer Magnet !) ............ ???
    but I belive the adjustment knobs do not thread on to the rod - but (instead) push on to the rod ........... and there will be an audible 'snap' when the knob is installed properly and fully ......

Thanks for that info! I think I am going to try and get mine off and see if I can put it on right. Is there some kind of notch that you are trying to line up? I didn't notice anything like that, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Oh I know they don't thread on. If they did it would be a lot easier.

I couldn't think of a word for "f*ck around with it until the damned splines match up."

Now I understand you ...........
    (I hate when you use that word 'around') ....
    well .... if the rod were threaded, Mr Recaro would have less money to purchase more vacation cottages .........
    and then someone would be forced to thread the knob on - instead of pushing it on .......... consuming ten more seconds ........ and causing the accountants ..... industrial engineers ....... on up to the executives to lose sleep over this terribly unproductive process ...........
    It gets worse - the knob and rod 'junction' are far better than the cover for the seat back release lever ........ a real genius designed that part (the method of attachment) .........