Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Lowering the VX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally! Lowering the VX

I called Valley Spring Works today (finally) and spoke to Bill, who is a really nice guy. I placed an order for new rear springs for my VX. They will be 2" shorter than stock, and about 20% stiffer. The cost was $205 + shipping to Miami. I forgot to ask about lead time. I'll probably call agian tomorrow. Anyhow, I'll let you all know when I get them in.

Also, I will need some help from someone who's got experience with adjusting the torsion bars up front. I think I'll try cranking the front down about 1" at first to see how that works out for me before exploring other options.

Now then... I've got my new 29" mudders on there with a high negative offset (WIDE stance) and stiff Bilsteins. With this 2" drop and stiffer springs, my VX should be a rallycross beast! I can't wait!
    Steve

Very interested in how this goes... I really would love to lower my VX a little also.
    Keep us posted. and post some pics.
    -Dave

Yes, very interested as well. Also, what tires/ wheels are you running? (Sizes)? Do they rub? Did you trim them?

Nate

Ok, guys, I'll keep you informed. For wheels/tires, I'm currently running w/ Tone's old setup:

29x10.15x15 TrXus STS All Terrain Radials on 15x7 (3.75” offset) American Racing wheels

Here are pics on Tone's ride. They look cooler on my Proton, though!

[Images removed by owner]

I would love to go a little bigger w/ tires... maybe 31"... but I don't have the budget for that right now. I went way overbudget on my exhaust project, so this is it for my VX fund until I save up a little more $$$
    Last edited by Moncha : 07/12/2005 at 04:32 PM Reason: Fixed photos

will springs fit a rodeo?

I am very intrested in the info on the shop doing your springs, i have been looking for new springs for my Axiom and this could be it. please pmn me or post the shop and contact info. Thanks
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

The shop is Valley Spring Works: http://www.valleyspr.qpg.com

Their email was down yesterday, but they're avail. by phone. Bill is a nice guy. He says they've done many VX projects, including lifts AND drops, and they're very familiar w/ the VX springs.

So are lowering springs not need in the font?

The front uses torsion bars, which can be adjusted easily enough for ~1" +/- variation without ride problems (supposedly). Not sure if there's a "how to" on this site for doing that.

If you really want to improve your ride (like I do), you could put coil springs up front, but that would involve some reengineering of the suspension. I may go that route in a couple years, but I'm going to stick w/ the torsion bars for now.

If you lower either end much you'll be riding on the bump stops.

I think in the front you could make a spacer for the ball joint to give the effect of a dropped spindle. lowering the VX. but not losing travel.

John C.

I'm gonna trim the bump stops to prevent bouncing on them. I don't mind losing upward travel. I'm going stiffer w/ springs and/or shocks to offset the lost travel.

Stiffer shochs? When you find them tell me.

If you bottom your suspension, all sorts of bad math happens to your handeling.

John C.

John, search for "Bilstein Shocks Info" I think it's 1738-H1's up front. 25% stiffer than the suggested 1738-H2's, and riding like a dream so far! If I crank down the torsion bars 1", you think it will cause me handling issues? Please explain in further detail. I thought you could crank torsion bars down a little w/o issues, as long as you trim bump stops?

I have H1's now, they are nice shocks. Definatly not as stiff as stock though, or as fast reacting.

Try an inch an see, you can always go back. Cutting the bump stop will give more travel. If this allows the shock to bottom, it will destroy the shock valve the forst time the piston bottoms hard.

John C.

Originally posted by transio
    If I crank down the torsion bars 1", you think it will cause me handling issues? Please explain in further detail. I thought you could crank torsion bars down a little w/o issues, as long as you trim bump stops?
    I lowered my old explorer 1.5" in this manner and after an alignment i had no issues and the handleing was great. I think he was warning you to not go to far so you get you wheels to far out of camber that they can not be realigned.