Thread: How I Lowered the Seat

How I Lowered the Seat

This isn't a complete write-up (I'm a few pics short), and the procedure isn't for the faint of heart, but it worked and I'm driving my VX in comfort now. The seat is about 1.5" lower in both the front and the back, as measured to the headliner (compared to the passenger's seat). I'm probably going to drop the front of the seat another 1/2" to give it a better angle.

First off, here is the stock seat mount:
    http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/VXMods/CIMG0980

It puts the seat mounting slide almost 4" off of the floor. The new mount (no pic yet) puts the mount a little bit more than 2" off of the floor.

First, I used an air hammer with the chizzel bit to cut the original mount off of the floor. I chose that tool because it would create the least amount of metal dust. Be sure to wear hearing protection when you use an air hammer. You can also take this time to remove the foam from the area under the carpet under the driver's seat . This may not be necessary, but I have an amplifier mounted under there so I had to do this.

Here is the result:
    http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/VXMods/CIMG1015

Next, the rear inside seat mount needs some clearancing. I first used a 5lb sledge. This is the result:
    http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/VXMods/CIMG0981

The part that you see hammered in is just a little bit too tall. I ended up cutting it off with the air hammer as well, because each time I hit it with the sledge the original seat mount would bend down more and more.

The next two steps I don't have any photos of. You need to remove the 4 original seat mounting tabs from the seat. Drill out the 4 rivets and then the 4 spot welds, and a tap with a hammer will allow them to drop off.

Next you need to drill some new holes in the bottom seat sliders. The original rivet holes were in the right place, so I enlarged them. At this step I also chose to remove the metal plate from the back of the seat slider assembly to make access to the under-seat area easier. You may have to bend it forward some to clear the floor if you don't remove it.

The rear seat mounts are used along with the original bolts (minus the washers) to secure the back of the seat. Hex head cap bolts would be better here for ease of install, and I'll certainly get some next time the seat is out.

The front seat mounts are quite simple. Some thick walled pipe was cut to length to use as stand-offs. 3" for the inner mount and 2" for the outer mount, as I recall, but I'll measure them when I take the final pics. Then you'll need to drill two holes in the floor, and located some new 3/8" bolts and LARGE washers. Please place washers on both the inside and the outside of the floor sheet metal to prevent the new seat stand-offs from cookie-cuttering (heh, new word) the floor in the case of an accident. Also use sealant on the new holes, and lock washers and/or lock nuts.

I had to trim one section of carpet under the seat and move it to right in front of the front inner seat mount to cover the original hole in the carpet, and I still need to find something that looks decent to cover the two front seat stand-offs, but you can't see them unless you look under the driver's seat, so it isn't a pressing issue.

The MTX amp that Adam installed still fits under the seat, it is just a tighter fit. No worries about it getting stolen either.

With the Holandia sunroof I had to contort a little bit to drive my VX before, and now it's just perfect.

-Tad

FRANKENSTEIN!!!!!

Kidding... whatever works for ya! Glad you are getting more "comfortable"!

Tad needs psychiatric help :P
    2000 Black VX 105k

I would LOVE to lower my seat! Sometimes I slouch way down like the kids do these days or move the seat up and tilt it way back and my VX feels much more natural with a lower eye point. I am 6'2" and when I get down to the height of a 5'10" average guy the view out the windows etc seems better. I hope you will post better pictures because it would be way WAY to scary to try without more info!
    Canadian VXer!

Exclamation YIKES!

Man, I've never been so glad to be 5'5" before!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

I wish I had your energy, I think I can get the same result eating at Pizza Hut 5 days a week, but then I might need medical help to be extracted from me lil beast.
    It's the love child of a Hummer & SLK, uniquely rugged & SLeeK

I'll try to take some more detailed pics soon. Because I removed the foam pad from under the carpet (to give room for the amp) I'm looking for some boat engine-room insulation to mount under the floor for some heat insulation. I found some roofing patch material that's like tar that might work if I can't find anything else. They claim that nothing short of a blow torch can remove it, and the VW bus guys use it as insulation, so that might be what I'll use.

-Tad