Originally posted by Maugan_VX
^ really? You have cold hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that there is a problem with the 3.5 engine? Because I don't think you do. I think you have a bunch of conjecture based upon a couple of people on teh intarnet that came across some bad luck. I'm not willing to discredit a group of engineers that posses more knowledge of engine design in their pinky toe than any one of you will hope to gain in a lifetime; simply over a couple of people got together on the internet and said "gee willikers, my engine was running like a bull with its balls cut off, and golly, its broken now."

Until I see some reputible source with numbers concerning production numbers vs. engine failures (don't forget to include the 3.5 troopers either), I refuse to participate in this tomfoolery and paranoia that you people are obsessed with.
Well, the truth is now I am living it... I have had impaccable maintainence. I became friends with the head mechanic at the dealership in Northern California. I saw every diagnostic test. My sine curves were perfect. A/F ideal. I had my injectors done twice because I am like that. Fresh plugs @ 30k. Mobil 1 synthetic from A to Z. Coolant flush every summer. I lived in lake Tahoe so I considered my low mileage (short trip) driving in sometimes harsh conditions 'severe driving'. I never was harsh on my car and drove it with respect but would hit only if I had too, (i.e. freeway on ramps). Fuel 91 octane only. Redline fuel treatment every 2000 miles...PCV cleaned and always checked. All electrical connections lubed with dialectric grease. EGR valve tight and spec... My vx might not be a pretty as some on the forum but I take mechanical care of it as good as any. I treat my car like my streetbikes, snowmobiles, whatevers... My car doing this is a big let down. PO 301...made me sick to my stomach when I saw it. I don't know how it could be head gasket, bad fuel, etc... but regardless of analytical data, or statistics, I'm looking at worst 5 large for a new engine. Given I only have 56,000 miles and it is a 99 I should be on warranty but I know it won't be that easy. I hope this works for me but knowing all the grief with Isuzu North America, and then my car now I am not to psyched.