I know that this is gonna sound a little silly but I need to know. I did buy my VX used and I have a question about the oil dipstick.

How long is it supposed to be? Here's the deal, when I check my oil when the engine is cold there is nothing on the stick. When I drive it to town and check it warm there is oil on it.

I took it to a mechanic today to explain my problem and he tought I was kidding. So we set there for about an hour to let the engine cool off, checked the oil and nothing on the stick, started it up, let it run about 5 minutes and checked it, guess what, oil.

My wife emerges from the car and suggests maybe it's the wrong dipstick. Maybe something happed to the orginal and the guy bought a Rodeo dipstick or something. The mechanic told me that it could be possible. I know for a fact that there is oil in the car. We have taken several long trips and no knocking or tapping.
I know what a car sounds like when shes about to blow from no oil.

The dipstick I have has a yellow handle. I noticed that almost everything under the hood is either black or red.
So maybe my wife is on to something here.

I have a problem checking the oil and nothing shows up on the stick.

Thanks.