OK, with one front and one rear original shocks already replaced underwarranty, and after the newley replaced front shock had failed just after 12,000 miles, I have been looking for replacements since I am now over the 50,000 mile mark.

Right now, all shocks appear to be fine (I stress appear), except yhe left front which failed in 12,000 miles. Since I wasnt about to shell out $350 for a new one, I decided to start trying replacement shocks in the left front position only.

1st I tried the Rancho 9000, set to 9, it still isnt quite as firm as the OE shocks (which I like). Also, there seems to be a lot of shake and vibration with this shock in place. Since it isnt gas charged, I just dont think its up to the task of matching the performance of the stockers. It does however seem to be a very rugged design. One thing I dont like is the fact that the heaviest part (tube) of the shock is mounted on the the bottom (or on the a-arm, thus adding unsprung mass.

Next I tried a Pro Comp ES5000, and it just flat out sucked, worse than the failed OE shock.

I proceed to try the Bilsteins since a there have been a few good reviews popping up lately. I was sent the H2 front and not the H1, however, this shock was pretty awesome, felt just like th eOE shock and damped any type of bump, big or small, very well. I'm getting an H1 to compare. It was very stiff.

Lastly, I tried the OME Nitrocharger firm, having used them on my Landcruiser and 4runner with great results, it just wasnt what I was looking for. Damping is very good, vibrations are controlled, and the feel on impacts is very nice. However, they are just a little to soft and floaty feeling. They do looking pretty much indestructable, with a huge piston shaft. If your looking for a great riding shock with a lot of damping (although not stiff), this is for you.

Of course, the results are subject to change if the different shocks were used on all 4 corners, but I though I would offer what I have found so far.

I will be ordering the B46-1738-H1 fronts and the trooper H1 rears to replace all my OE shocks, and the feeling is performance will most likely be better than OE.