Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Headlight Scratches & Cleaning

I wrote a thread call 'zen and the art of headlight polishing'. The one thing I noticed is what ever you do, it seems to lose the surface tension and will fog/scratch easier so would highly suggest covering it with lexan afterwards. I did this two odd years ago and have had no problems
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I did this today and the results are amazing! The headlights look almost brand new. I had some pretty noticeable scratches on the driver's side headlight and they are all gone now. I wet sanded twice with 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit sandpaper I picked up at Autozone. After that it took about 4 applications of the Meguires PlasticX polish to get them clear again. Upon close inspection there are a few areas of fine scatches that could probably use another go around, but overall things look a lot better then they did this morning. I spent about 40 minutes on each headlight.

Hi my lights have a coating on them - do you guys recon its a spray on job - its starting to flake off and looks pants -
    did these lights come with a protective coating from new or not ?
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

Wallmart and Target have kits that you can buy for less than $10 I believe. I used one from Wallmart and it worked just fine.

After reading the posts on this website after I bought my VX, I went with wetsanding with 2000 grit sandpaper, followed by Meguair's PlastX cleaner. The results speak for themselves. Friends wanted to know where I got new lenses so quickly! I forget whose thread I read, but I kept the sandpaper and lens wet constantly. It took me about 30-40 minutes to do both lights, and mine were yellowed and hazed pretty badly. The results would pass a 1-foot test.
    Between that and the tips on the "Refinish Restorer" for the cladding, and my VX looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I liked the results of the Refinish Restorer so much, I used it on my mirrors, door handles, spoiler, and hood inset. It's a liquid miracle.
    Thanks to all who have posted tips in the past...
    Robert (soon to be site supporter)

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
    Hi my lights have a coating on them - do you guys recon its a spray on job - its starting to flake off and looks pants -
    cheers
    Steve
    Oi, Some people have had their's clear coated, that might be what your seeing and I can image how bad it looks now with the peeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
    cheers
    Steve
    There was some protective coating that was sprayed on the engine. Which was also on my headlights. Mine were so bad I used an orbital sander to remove it and used a buffer with regular compound (for paint) to buff it back. shawn
    1COOLVX

Heres what you need to do to make your lens like new or near new !!! You will need to repeat the process about every six months depending on how often your truck sits outside ...but the results are great and only takes around ten minutes per lens , yes only minutes and will clean and smooth out minor scratches ... The product is called ( NU-FINISH CAR POLISH ) .....No need to remove the lights and no worries if you get it on your paint or cladding . you can find it at any store for around $9.00 !!! Let me know how it worked for you or for my method of applying the polish ...

Hi yes - my lights shine bright yellow - so i recon i need to remove the coating and buff them up - i have 2000 grit paper and meguars plastic x so i shall try that
    cheers
    Steve

VX Headlite Refurbishing

Just watching an R&M car auction (repeat) and one of the sponsors was introducing a "Meguires" plastic headliight restoration product that is specifically designed for headlights like the VX. It contains a polishing compound and a foam polishing wheel and a microfibre tack cloth.
    This should help alot of us out.

Headlight delaminating??

Hi folks,

My headlights are doing something a little odd.... it almost seems like layers of the plastic have rubbed away, leaving thicker slightly bubbled pieces on the back corners. Anyone else seen this?? Still amenable to the sandpaper cure??

Quote Originally Posted by Bieredalsace View Post
    Just watching an R&M car auction (repeat) and one of the sponsors was introducing a "Meguires" plastic headliight restoration product that is specifically designed for headlights like the VX. It contains a polishing compound and a foam polishing wheel and a microfibre tack cloth.
    This should help alot of us out.
    Yup, I posted about that stuff here:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...estoration+kit

The kit actually worked really well. My lights look waaaaay better than they ever have.

Bart