Thread: SHIAT VX is in the shop...

SHIAT VX is in the shop...

AGAIN!!! Arghhh

Pulled 4 codes, same as last time... I just got her back not too long ago and it was the Tranny mode switch, TP sensor and some other thing... Man this sucks hope they find out what is worng...

So weird the CE light comes on and it shifts really HARD and revs weird, then this morning the CE light still on but it runs fine??

Frustrated,
    -Dave

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Is this a frayed wires thing?
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

No clue about the frayed wires thing?? What is this you speak of?? HELP as the mechanic is sorta stumped and is going to go though a schematic of all the component's and electrical things hooked up to the Mode switch...

Oh Dave.. not sure if that is what is causing the problems but some of those wiring harnesses in and around the engine bay can start rubbing on surrounding metal and cause all kinds of trouble.. sporadic or continual. My mechanic pointed out a harness in the engine bay that could affect normal idling. I think somewhere in all the threads here, I posted a pic pointing to that potential culprit. I will try to look for it.

Cool, will pass this on to my mechainc... thanks, fingers crossed.

Originally posted by Anita
    Dont know if this is your problem but I would check CLOSELY the wiring harnesses running through the engine department including the harness that runs below and behind the driver side headlight. Frayed wires grounding out can blow fuses and cause the weirdest power outs including the ones you describe. Some of us have experienced it firsthand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

The one that Im referring to runs just right of.... shoot...I dont know the name of the parts of the engine. Its to the right of the engine, about halfway back. Wrapped with black tape...

But yes, several owners including me have had experiences with that particular harness as well.

If all else fails, you could call my mechanic. He has fielded questions from owners and mechanics around the country. Email me if you want his number.

Last edited by Anita : 10/04/2004 at 04:20 PM

Dealer just called... He checked everything (wiring harness and all) and the only thing he thinks it could be is I need a new EGR valve and gasket. They apparently share the same wiring that is causing my TP sensor code and Mode Switch codes? But he said that he is taking an educated guess, because the VX is running fine again.... arghhh

I am hating to spend 300 bucks to replace the valve that might not even solve the problem. He said I can just drive it till the EGR goes if that is even it. Anyone have any suggestions? I gave the ok to go because I need the VX back.

-Dave

Engine clean

I would be curious to know if persons experiencing intermittent electronic problems wash or clean their engines

Perhaps trapped moisture in some of the electronic connections under the hood.

Bob F
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers