Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ot: Hdtv...

My buddy that works for Comcast came over last night and checked out my system. He did a few tweaks and gave me some pointers on better picture quality. He clipped the coaxial from the wall to the box to make it as short as possible and did the same with the line from the box to the tv. Sure enough, the quality of the video gets more crisp if the line is shorter. Something I never knew. Also, there is a coaxial cable speciafically made for better video quality. It turns out to be the same coax for cable modems. It transfers a cleaner signal. I have yet to try this out, but he recommended it. I also asked more about the digital cable reciever. His appreciation for his was 100%. If you have a DVI connection on your tv, you really cant go wrong with it. Although, the component video is really good too. The digital recievers they offer have DVI out, component out, optical audio out, and coaxial audio out. For $3 for a month, I just might do this. Although I dont watch much tv, $3 is hardly gonna break the wallet.

Since we are on the hi res digital subject though, what do you all know about DVD video? I have been following this for a couple of years now, but DVDs still dont play back any better than 480p (if you have a progressive player). Any clue as to when DVDs and players will bump up the res or are we still gonna have to wait till something like Blu-ray goes mainstream?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I had purchased a Samsung HD 841 DVD player that Up converts to 720p & 1081i through DVI... I ended up retuning the player because of the blacks lacking on the player. But there are up converting players out there. I did not really notice a huge difference but it did look cleaner.

There is also a Zenith player that up converts through component's also.

Lots of good talk about these players here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=18

-Dave