Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ot: Hdtv...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ot: Hdtv...

Ok now that I have my new HDTV, which HD provider do I go with?

Voom
    Direct TV
    Dish
    Comcast

Anyone have any experience with HD on theses providers??

I currently have Dish and ordered there HD 811 box, but have been reading mixed reviews about the picture quality and lockups on the systems.

Thanks!
    -Dave

Just an idea but you could look by product like Sony, JVC, etc and then find what the best one that fits your needs and interests. Personally I would stay away from Comcast, but thats just me, I dont like there equipment at all and you have to use it.

If you go by product then automatically the HD SAT receiver carrier works with a paticular DirectTV or DishNETWORKS.

CNET & ZDNET are good for product reviews and whats out there.

Hope that helps!
    MHE

Funny you mention this Cyrk, cause I got all moved in to my new place this weekend and Comcast came out for my cable install. The offer an HD package for an extra $3 a month, but only a mere 8-10 channels are broadcast in HD. I guess it's not a bad deal for $3 but they are channels I don't watch. It's like Discover HD and National Geographic. Also, the guy told me that the mandatory 2006 HD changeover was changed to 2009 now!!!! That kinda burns me up.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Worm so how do the Comcast HD channels look?

I was with Dish Network for the past 3 years using their older receiver which allowed to record HDTV to D-VHS vcr. Both picture quality and DD 5.1 sound were awesome. Then Dish retiered 5000 receiver and I stopped being their subscriber. Going with Comcast is like feeding the pig. They will increase your monthly bill without any explanation several times a year. You should ask yorself several questions on what is really important to you - price, picture quality, variety, ability to timeshift, ability to archive to D-VHS tape today and then transfer in the future to Blue Ray discs ot HD-DVD format (ongoing war between the two).
    Read more here http://www.avsforum.com/
    Andrey

Well, I have a HD Plasma and went with Adelphia cable for HD. True, I only get about 8-10 channels for now, but what a difference. I was using Direct TV, but they wanted me to pay $400 for the equipment upgrade, to go HD. New customers can get 4 tv's hooked for FREE, but not current customers! What a bunch of BULL *****. Anyhow, I then looked into Dish, but they couldn't get a good signal off my roof? Then I checked into Voom, but at the time I looked, they wanted like $750 up-front for the equipment. They do offer the most HD channels available. Just not sure how the service would be, if something went out? So, I went with Adelphia and so far, for the HD channels I do get, it great. For me, one of the Big kicker is this, if you go with Comcast, (I think just like my Adelphia) there is no service contract, unlike 1-2 years with the satilite company's. So, if you try Comcast and don't like it, just take back the equipment and cancel it! For me, getting ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, & NESN (Red Sox games) for now, it's all I need! I'd say Try Comcast and see how you like it. Then I'd look into Voom.
    Always a kid at heart!

Tanks for the replys... I hear on comcast the the SD (analog) channels look like poo, is that right? or do they look ok?
    Last edited by Cyrk : 10/04/2004 at 11:56 AM

Well I can't speak for Comcast, but on my Plasma, almost any non-HD channel looks crappy. But, thats the nature-of-the-beast with Plasma's. So yes, on plasma's regular channels look worst than on TV's or LCD's.

But, I still wouldn't trade my Plasma for ANYTHNG! You should see this thing running an DVD, through my HD DVD player & my sounds system. The new Stars Wars trilogy rocks! I just have to keep the sound down low enough, so I don't smash the windows.

Dave...

For what it's worth, I'm using Comcast with HD and a Toshiba 51" rear projection (much cooler than Dave's plasma) and the HD channels are clear as can be. Analog channels are grainey looking but tolerabel for the most part. Someday, rumor has it, Dave will be investing in some very comforable seats, a popcorn machine, goldengate tap system with extra long retractable hose, and an ultra convenient portable relief station such that you may not need to get out of your seat.
    Scott

I think I might try Comcast HD... they are offering 25 bucks off for 16 mo if I drop Dish for them. And I can get Locals in HD here in ATL and they also have an HD DVR for 9.95 a mo.

Originally posted by Cyrk
    they also have an HD DVR for 9.95 a mo.
    That would be soooo great..you gotta do it!

Originally posted by ScottinMA
    Someday, rumor has it, Dave will be investing in some very comforable seats, a popcorn machine, goldengate tap system with extra long retractable hose, and an ultra convenient portable relief station such that you may not need to get out of your seat.
    Rumor, it's not a rumor, just a LONG ***** PROJECT. Yes, I'm trying to (slowly) build a 8 seat movie theater! But, for this room, I will run a HD projector with a 120" screen. I may need to sell shares in 3 available seats, to help defray the project cost! Anyone want to claim a seat? They are going to be nice and comfy! Berkline Cinema seats.

Dave...

I didnt get HD. Even the installer said "it isnt worth it". You have to remember, it's is still not a digital signal. They use a digital box with component/rca to the tv. What the box does is, it takes the analog signal and renders it out with progressive scan, much like a DVD player will do. It looks clearer, but it's like covering a pimple with blush. It's still not true digital. THE LINE INTO THE BOX FROM THE WALL IS STILL COAX!!!!!! WTF!!!! They are robbing millions who have no idea that they are really not getting a digital signal. Oh sure, they are getting widescreen broadcast, but it aint digital. I smell class action suit in the near future. Just make sure you read ANY small print.

Humm good point Worm... AHHH do not know what to do now?? Might switch to Direct TV.

Cool

I bought a HDTV from Costco and a HDTV receiver at Walmart ($200) - now I get High-Def broadcasts over the air for free. The picture is awesome. All of the new shows are broadcast in high-def... I love the monthly price - $0.00.

If you pay for tv, you feel like you have to watch - and there is too much to do in life to be saddled to a sofa watching tv all the time.

I especially love Alias - I just rented the DVDs and the picture was much worse on DVD than the broadcast...

Brent