Thread: Climate Control Fan wont turn off

Climate Control Fan wont turn off

Just yesterday I hop in the car and drive off and noticed that the Climate Control Fan was fairly loud, I turn the knob to the off position and it doesn't turn off. The Fan is staying on at about half power. I can turn the fan up to full and it goes to full, but when I go to turn it down it wont go below about half power even though I have turned the knob.

I think the actual knob is working because when I turn the fan speed knob to off the A/C light goes off, but the fan keeps going.

It would be great if anyone has any ideas as to why this has just started out of the blue.

I'd bet it is the blower resistor. Mine wouln't blow at all but while fixing the problem I discovered that the blower resistor controls the blowers speed. Check out my post from then, it may help.

HERE
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

Thanks heaps for the info. I shall have a look and hopefully get it fixed.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Since carlymacs investigation revealed that the blower is constantly "hot" and the ground is switched to control the speed(s), I'm thinking that the ground is somehow leaking through .

Maybe a short in the selector switch? Disconect the main ground going into the switch and see if that stops the blower completely.

Thanks, I'll have a go at disconnecting the ground.

I took the car down to a mate of mine who owns a local car assessory shop (autobarn), he took the resistor out of the car and tested it with a voltmeter and stuff. He took it apart and found a semi conductor under the main circuit board, and believed that to be the problem, but it is all black and has no markings on it, otherwise it could be possible to replace that only.

Also, we found that (probably normal) when the casing of the resistor touched part of the car it adjusted the fan speed.

Having a look at the resistor my part number does not match up to your number. I have a japanese 1997 model with climate control, I dont know if that has anything to do with the different part numbers.

On the front at the top of the part I have the numbers 76041 and at the bottom I have 582670-2700.