Thread: changing all fluids

changing all fluids

I thought now before winter it'd be a good moment to change all the fluids on my vx.

Coolant, brake and motor oil are no problem ,but what I can't find anywhere is how you flush an automatic gearbox, and how to tell if my vx has a lsd in the rear.(which would require additives.
    I'd appreciate all info on these subjects.

Do a search for Royal Purple or transmission fluid here and you will find plenty. I recently changed out my "under" fluids and gave it the Royal Purple treatment. No dealers in my area, so I purchased the stuff on Ebay. Royal Purple Max Gear oil and AT Fluid.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Just completed my "winterization", one thing I will recommend is
    getting some "O" rings the right size for your auto. trans. plugs.
    put em between the big washer & the drain or fill hole to prevent leaks. There is a corklike substance on the stock washer that gets shredded when you remove the drain plugs.
    Just completed my allfluid change to Amzoil...THEN found a local dealer for Royal Purple,heard any comparison's between the two?

Good Luck & have fun, It's a real good feeling when done.

Ldub
    :homer:

Thumbs up

I've done both my VX transmissions with Mobil-1 ATF and have been ecstatic with the results. Plus you can pick up Mobil-1 just about anywhere and you know it's the real deal.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Better hope you didn't put rubber orings on that fill plug. Any petroleum based substance will break down rubber material over time, and might create a bigger leak since theres separation.

Might want to go give it a look just to make sure.
    2000 Black VX 105k

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    maugan,
    Rubber was never mentioned in my reply,nitrile O rings resist
    petroleum & silicone based products.What do you think keeps your fuel injectors,fuel pressure regulator,& a bunch of other things under the hood from leaking? Anyone with a grain of common sense would go to the auto parts store rather than the plumbing dept. of the local hardware store for auto parts.

Ldub

I know many types of orings exist, I was just making sure!

the to change the oil in teh tranny is a b1tch to get to. theres a bunch of stuff u have to unbolt to get to the drain plug(bolt, watever u want to call it). then after u drained the tranny dry, ull have to pump the new fluids back up into the tranny. gets kinda messy.
    ________
    Zoloft problems
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:39 PM

Lightbulb

You can do the entire change from the tranny cooler fittings at the radiator with a simple home-made reservoir (I used an old plastic bottle) and a bucket. Homespun flush! This doesn't include changing the screen, which does involve dropping the pan.

Hey Joe!

I don't remember you finishing the write up on this....

Jonathan

Hey Joe Black,
    Yeah, you need to give us less informed folks a lesson on this procedure. I have been putting off changing all the fluids in the tranny, diffs., and transfer case while I fugured out how I could do it myself. Teach us a thing or two, please.
    Thanks,
    Neal

My bad! Found the page I put up on this not working. I'll have it fixed by Monday since I'll be in Hialeah for the rallycross over the weekend.

As advertised on the Mobil One. Huge diff, noticed right away. Adding LSD juice to the rears, won't hurt anything even if the car hasn't limited slip rears. It just helps keep thiings a bit quieter down there. ----------Wayne

Exclamation Just a word of caution

I know this may sound pretty obvious and shouldn't be a problem at all for anybody with a very basic common sense and mechanical knowledge, but if you take your VX to a transmission/oil change shop to have your tranny oil flushed and replaced, pay EXTREME close attention and check and double-check VERY well to how everything was put back together before you even drive your VX out of the shop.

In my case they messed up unbelievably bad when they put back the wiring harness that runs along the crossmember, leading to a whole “check engine” light and O2 sensors codes nightmare I'm still struggling to get out from.