Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mods & Projects - UPDATES

KP, do some research on Savonius wind generators. We're planning on using several of that type as we're on a river valley and always have a good breeze. They're not as efficient as blade-type generators, but are simple to construct and are very robust so feathering isn't necessary. Augment those with a reasonable amount of solar and you'd be in good shape!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Joe -

Thanks again for the link; another interesting design to look into.

In S.California I think using Solar is the way to go because if you get "on the grid" and produce enough electricity, the power company actually winds up owing YOU money. I wonder if you can also do this with wind power?

Thailand is a whole different ball game because it would be ideal to stay entirely off the grid, which of course requires completely different design considerations. Although sunlight usually isn't much of an issue in that part of the world, it would be nice to have a backup/additional source.

Take a good hard look at the requirements for selling power back to the utility company. It's not as simple as producing more than you use, it has to be conditioned and provided in very stringent methods as dictated by the utility. I had heard the same tales and did some research. It's quite complicated and there is additional expense involved, plus the regulations vary dramatically by region and utility provider.

The best alternative power systems in real-world use are very hybrid. Wind provides the bulk of the power as it provides the most output for the lowest cost. Solar usually augments systems as it is very cost prohibitive for the cells, so the setup is generally sized according to the wind availability at the site to pick up the slack for average windless days. All this feeds a battery storage bank that is in turn coupled with the distribution circuit that provide this green power to the whole house that's still grid-tied. The grid power handles the heavy loads such as major appliances and well pumps, while the batteries handle the rest. The control circuitry automatically shifts the load as needed when the batteries are low or the demand is high. This type of setup gives you the maximum flexibility and savings, plus you can scale the system up as you can afford additional green power generation (wind/solar/micro-hydro etc.). For totally off-grid use you really either have to do without a lot of conveniences or spend major money for ultra-efficient appliances and such. For example, they still haven't come up with a full-size 12V fridge that'll keep ice cream hard.

For some excellent information and reviews of in-use real world residential systems, and the different approaches people take, check out Home Power Magazine at your local book shop. It's a good read and will encourage you as much as ground you to reality and the true economics of being green.

Lightbulb UPDATE

I had hoped to have the web site up Tuesday but I just now think I've got frames figured out on FrontPage. I'm not a web-guru and have just been fumbling through it, but y'all will figure that out when you see the site. So far I've got the projects I'm interested in listed and estimated times for results. There is also a tech section with the "how-to" photos. Since I'm doing trannies on both my fiance's Trooper and Jonnie's IronMan then I should have some good additional photos. My plan is to show the two ways I've changed tranny fluid so you can figure which best suits you. I'm on vacation next week so will be able to put some more time into it.

Here's what I've got up so far, not much but at least you can get the link: Joe Black's VX Site
    Last edited by Joe_Black : 11/05/2004 at 04:42 AM