Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Morgan-Tec Intake

My Morgan-Tec Intake

Not here just yet, but Mike sent me a pic of it today.....

DAMN, she's gonna look good in my engine bay !!!

(EDIT: Received and installed it ... pics below!)

Oh yeah, and better performance, too. Yippee
    Last edited by transio : 11/08/2004 at 08:57 PM
    Steve

sweet.....

btw did u go through with the drop?
    ________
    Vaporizer wiki
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:40 PM

MZ,

I got the springs, but I've been going through hell trying to get my new wheels to fit. I wanna get these wheels on at the same time as the drop, so that I only have to realign once.

You shouldn't have to re align if you change wheels!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

O. yes he does if the offset is different!

Yeah, these wheels are a pretty significant change in geometry from the ones I have on.

IT'S IN !!!

I installed my Morgan-Tec intake yesterday. There is a noticeable increase in power and better throttle response, as advertised. Also a much more aggressive growl coming from my exhaust. Not to mention it looks great !!! I'm thinking about painting my engine cover yellow to match.

Here are some pics:

Installation was mostly a breeze. The intake came with detailed instructions with pics of installation in an Axiom, which is almost exactly the same as a VX install. The only issue I had is with the IAT grommet, which fits a little loosely (very, very minor). I think I'll try adding some silicon between the grommet and the intake to eliminate any play. Another thing is that when mounted, there's only about 1/4" of space from the radiator fan. The instructions suggest 1/2". Oh, and the last issue was that the 3" clamp that came with the air filter didn't fit when stretched over the MAF. I couldn't find a bigger clamp than 3" at autozone, so I just got a 1" and joined it with the 3", and that fixed that.

What do you guys think?

LQQks great!

Is that the stainless steel cone filter or ????

I was considering one like yours but wasn't sure if the stanless steel filter catches enough of the finer particles that the K&N web site said causes most of the engine wear/damage.

Anyone know ? Feedback is welcomed!!!

Thanks
    "MARS ATV"
    NASA's Martian Surface Exploration All Terrain Vehicle Prototype

Thx! Yes it's a steel filter. I've heard that there's an oil you can put over it to catch the fine particles. Maybe Mike can help us out?

Well I'm not Mike but I'm bored...

Since space under the hood is limited it's difficult to lower pressure drop across the filter (i.e., increase flow) via low air/cloth ratio (low face velocity) by increasing filter surface area. You can increase it a little through deeper pleating but if you really want high flow then your only option is to increase porosity, which reduces collection efficiency. There's the tradeoff. The only "free lunch" you get is through oiling like K&N. What they offer is a filter that is more porous than stock - which ordinarily would reduce collection efficiency - but since the fibers are coated with sticky oil, particles are more likely to impinge upon them and not get re-entrained. Unfortunately oil doesn't help steel mesh filters much in the long run since they aren't very absorbent. A lot of the oil will initially get sucked into the intake and burn. The oil that remains will be in low velocity areas that would would ordinarily take up the slack when a good dust cake begins to build in the higher flow areas. As pressure drop across the filter rises due to less surface area, the filter will "blind" and you'll get larger particles passing through than if you had just left the thing dry.

What I would do if I had one of those cone filters is run a Filter Skin on it most of the time to trap fine particles and when I felt the urge to show off my underhood jewels or get that last 0.5 horsepower out of the VX, I'd take the skin off...

Re: Well I'm not Mike but I'm bored...

Originally posted by SlowPro48
    What I would do if I had one of those cone filters is run a Filter Skin on it most of the time to trap fine particles and when I felt the urge to show off my underhood jewels or get that last 0.5 horsepower out of the VX, I'd take the skin off...
    Awesome advice! Where would you suggest that I get the skin from?

I don't know much about car parts suppliers but anyone who sells K & N filters should be able to set you up with some thing. I think they call theirs the PreCharger.

Any of the online bike parts places will have PC Racing Filter Skins. They're made to fit bike filters but check the sizes and you might find something that will work. Try http://www.denniskirk.com

Or you can get one custom made to fit your filter from Outerwears at http://www.outerwearsracing.com/custom_order.php

More good info on this other post: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=&postid=47731

Morgan says his filters down to 20 microns and it has fabric inside that stainless mesh. Properly oiled K&N or Green filter traps down to 5 microns. Bigger (more surface area) the filter the better... Green seemed to be built better than the K&N and I have been a long time K&N fan.

OK - found K&N version and PC Racing version at White Bros go here http://www.whitebros.com/04catalog/Intake.pdf - scroll down to page 5 and you'll see the K & N skin. No sizes listed though - so you're on your own! Page 7 shows the PC Racing product in action.

From the K & N site:

A Word About Filtration RequirementsÂ_

There are few areas more confusing than identifying dirt retention requirements when it comes to air filters.Â_ Most vehicle owner’s manuals remain silent on the point.Â_ In fact, few air filter manufacturers publish any information as to the filtration efficiency of their filters.Â_ This stands in marked contrast to oil and fuel filters where there is a relatively large amount of information regarding filtration requirements and capabilities.Â_ Studies have shown most engine wear is caused by particles 10 to 20 microns in size.Â_ K&N air filters, like most quality disposable air filters, provide excellent filtration of these particles. Â_

To ensure our air filters provide a high level of dirt protection, we regularly test our air filter designs using the testing procedure described above. Those tests demonstrate K&N air filters generally achieve overall filtration efficiency in the range of 97% - 98%, while some of our air filter designs have achieved levels as high as 99%. The fact that our air filters at times reach overall filtration efficiencies as high as 99% while maintaining high airflow is a testament to the quality and capabilities of our oil impregnated cotton air filter medium.