Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pro/Con of Air intake Kit

The dyno sheets are from my Axiom, same engine you guys have so i would venture to say same results. As for the filtration these filters filter down to 20-30 microns, i have had one on a car for almost 6 years now with no problems and i run one on my Axiom.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Spoke with Royal Purple and they too start with a pure synthetic base as do others but they don't do air filters.

20 microns? That is a LOT of dirt getting through and into the engine. No oil on a mesh filter like that is trouble as well - EVERY one I have ever encountered like that is designed to use oil as the first and important level of protection. K&N and Green Filters (as well as stock drop ins) remove down to 5 microns.

Saw a great test on filters at SEMA and am working a deal with Green Filters for their drop in (beats the K&N in airflow by a significant amount but equal filtering) and cone filters (with heatshields) for both SCed and stock intakes. I also located a source for REAL carbon fiber tubes.

Will post a complete review and pics next week of all the cool potential VX things and more!

Tone-

Do you have any Dyno charts off your vehi, I'm interested to see how yours is running.
    I don't know if I missed it, what kind of intake are you set up with your SC?

Thanks- Jay
    Draftsman of the dead

Here are some print outs from the dyno runs. Sorry they are not in color, i could not get electronic files so i had to scan in the printouts. As you can see my intake netted 9.1hp and 16.7 lb/ft at the tires. Now almost all companies that quote hp figures use crank #s which are typically 15-20% more than #s at the tires. So keep it in mind these are real to the tires #s.

Originally posted by On Your Left
    Jayfotos/Machine,

I put a K&N on the the stock box and noticed a small improvement in mpg, but nothing to rave about. The performance gains of an after market intake sounds great for a 'small' investment, but what about mileage improvements?

JT

Sorry missed your post....

When I first installed the SC w/stock airbox K&N filter, it was sucking down gas and after I put the intake in it was like it could breathe again and was back to normal. The difference is night and day, I'm so amazed(not really) Alpine dropped the ball on this....I think it should be the standard to add a intake kit with a SC.

It would be nice to see the 2 runs laid on top of one another - the WinPep software can do that and they typically save all runs. Your shop can also output them in electronic versions in color. This would be a much better way to show the increase as trying to compare numbers and slopes is difficult. A color scan of the printouts would also be helful.

The improvement numbers you mention are peak values and each appear at a different RPMs - the first thing that jumps out is at 3.8 RPM where one scan shows over a 25pt increase Then the downslope of the one with the intake is more severe.

Also, if this is the direct injection 3.5, the numbers will be noticeably different as your engine handles air and fuel differently.

Jay, Alpine designed their SC system to be CARB legal in all 50 states and the ONLY way to do that is to use the stock airbox. It is common knowledge in performance circles that increasing breathing (intake AND exhaust) is always a benefit and even moreso in SC'd or Turbo'd applications.

I hear ya Tone, but just seems after I got my intake installed and posted dyno results(before and after) people here scratched their heads and are sold.....am I the first to do this?

I mean, I'm fairly new to the board and posting this info I thought would be old news or common knowledge...I thought.

When going threw all the question asking part of purchasing my SC(believe me, there was a lot).....NO ONE....I'll say that again.....NO ONE, said anything about geting a new intake.

If anyone asked me now I would not promote a SC with out it....it's like peanut butter and jelly.....cookies and milk.

Originally posted by SlowPro48
    Just out of curiosity, do you find that the s/c helps quiet the intake? It seems like it would since you've got those rotors between the valves and your ears - as opposed to open intake on an atmospheric engine where it's a straight shot from the valves thru the throttle body and intake to your ears.
    The only way I can describe it is:

The Supercharger produces a cool "whine" when boost is coming on and this is followed quickly by the CF-intake making what reminds me of the sound a 4 bbl. carb makes when the you open her up!

If you drive her normally, you don't hear any whining from the SC (only me....dope :homer: !) and only a little bit of air flow in the intake as you give it gas. At a steady speed it really sounds stock. At idle you can hear the SC (I am assuming it is quieter with the new nosecone design...but, I've never heard one before! I actually like the sound of mine at idle!!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Tone,
    These #s are from my 2003 Axiom with the same engine you have except that i have drive by wire electronic throttle and you guys have a throttle cable. The direct injection engines came out in 04'

Photoshop is phun - overlay of the two dyno runs. Red is new, black is old.

Thanks man that is awsome, hope you dont mind but i copied it for my files as well.

You are welcome, and welcome to copy it as much as you want. It didn't require any creative work - just mechanical use of the tools in photoshop. But even if it had been something creative, I would not have posted it if I did not want to share it with anyone who wanted a copy. Information wants to be free, I don't believe in standing in its way.

Re: Re: Pro/Con of Air intake Kit

Originally posted by morgan-tec
    My name is Mike and i build the Morgan-tec intakes a bunch of people on here have.
    Just got mine installed: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...?threadid=5217
    Steve

What is that? Torque or HP? That's a wacky looking curve whatever it is. With all those ripples it looks like a bike with a worn-out chain...

Originally posted by marximus
    that would be great! let me know how it goes.
    sorry it took so long...i havent been able to use my computer for a while....(did somethign stupid and broke a peice off my video card) anyways i took the pictures of wat it looks like....

its rite next to the intake box on the right if u look at the car from the front...
    ________
    WEB SHOWS
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:46 PM