Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pro/Con of Air intake Kit

What? There's one missing!!! Is everybody skeered to go up against the mighty ROTELLA-T????

Question

Vettewars, how about posting some data that's not from Amsoil?
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Not to be a jerk but maximus started this thread about intakes not oils. Everyone has good points on the debate but i m sure he would appreciate it if there was a thread started else where.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Its awl good!

thanks morgan, but its all good. my solution for now was to just get a $55 K&N high air flow filter from local Shucks. I dont notice a HUGE difference, but i can tell that there is a difference. as for the oil posts, start a new thread just for convenience. i have a question about lights on my luggage rack, so i think ill start a new thread.
    "Times fun when you're having flies."
    -Kermit the Frog

if you are installing the k&n for the stock airbox, be sure to remove the elbow going in to the fender. shawn
    1COOLVX

Cold Air is important

Sorry back on topic ...
    I have experience with turbo and supercharged cars mostly doing mods. I've gotten big gains on my Shelby Daytona with removal of cat, 2 1/2 back exhaust, and cold air intake. Same basic equation with the thunderbird SCs I have. Not sure how easy it is to get at VX cat and work in a bypass.

I do not know this truck yet and may mess with it when my wife isn't looking, but I can support these conclusions so far:

1. 5-10hp, especially at the wheels is feelable and pleasureable.
    2. 0-60 runs of mid 7s is a worthy goal and good to take on many other trucks at the light, leading to further pleasure.
    3. Do anything you can to get straight COLD airflow through the front of the vehicle directly into the intake. With a good design of ram air, you will be turning your panel filter effectively into a less restrictive cone filter, or if using a cone filter, making it incrementally better. If you look at store bought ram air designs for vettes or other cars, you see there isn't that much surface area involved, yet consistent reported gains are documented for these "cold air" or "ram air" systems. For instance, one 4" round to the front of the vehicle should be more than enough. You should convince yourself you can craft one of these using home depot stuff and duck tape.
    4. I've seen MANY a car modified with cone filters and expensive new intake mods yet not surrounding the air intake by airboxes or heat shields. This usually results in a wash or LOSS of hp gain because greater underhood temperatures negate the effect.

Re: Cold Air is important

Originally posted by vettewars
    I've seen MANY a car modified with cone filters and expensive new intake mods yet not surrounding the air intake by airboxes or heat shields. This usually results in a wash or LOSS of hp gain because greater underhood temperatures negate the effect.
    This is not my experiance with my intakes, i messed around with a heat shield and saw no difference in dyno #s, all my data i use is from a no heat shield standpoint. My kit still makes 10hp more at the tires over stock airbox and intake tube. In my kit the cone filter is pointed directly at the fender hole for cooler air. I also use a true cone filter with an internal surface as well as external.

;Dr;

The dyno doesn't test it....

You have hot air under the hood both ways.

But....if you do a dyno with COLD AIR blowing directly into your air intake...believe me....there is a difference.

Makers of ram air/cold air systems still haven't found a way to truly test according to air flows like when you're going say 130mph (at which I achieve a full 4 lbs extra boost on the dial on my SC car).

What they do is take an industrial fan and blow it into the front of the car....which accomplishes basically giving you colder air to the intake during the dyno test. Still....they advertise on average 5 to 10% with this cold air difference (some even more).

Their advertised hp gains are therefore not the full benefit of what can be realized at high speed. One could argue of course that this IS realistic for posted speed limits.

I think you really have to design something that comes to the front and fully funnels cold air in.

MorganTech - can we see your dyno slips? 10 is a LOT for an intake and filter....

I reached between the stock airbox and the fan the other day to adjust the headlights and could not believe the hot air that was being pushed right towards that corner. Veru uncomfortable and I physically could not hold my hand there for very long. I have seen a half shield at Autozone for $10 that I'm gonna try after SEMA.
    Last edited by Tone : 11/03/2004 at 12:25 PM

Re: Re: Cold Air is important

Originally posted by morgan-tec
    In my kit the cone filter is pointed directly at the fender hole for cooler air.
    I'm not too sure aiming at the hole will bring the cooler air in. If there is some sort of vaccum created under the hood where the air gets sucked in through this hole... I dunno... but I'm pretty sure, unless you reposition the filter to the other side of the hole (in the fender area), or direct the air in from the hole or from another open area, I don't think there will be much cold air being sucked into the filter.

psychos2 a.k.a. shawn,
    sorry to ask this again, but i am a visual person, so a pic would really help me to see exactly what you mean before i cut. i assume this is just to get more airflow into the stock air box?

also, morgan, how much is that setup you posted above? cone and all? looks nice! how often do you have to clean the filter? it seams like the cone filter setup would get dirty fast.

at the bottom of the air box there is a elbow thing there. ill take pictures probably 2morow if it doesnt rain since im plannin to remove the elbow.
    ________
    EmberReigns cam
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:42 PM

that would be great! let me know how it goes.

Tone, give me a few days to get electrinic files of them and i will post them on here for you to see.

Marximus, the kit as pictured goes for $200 complete. I also offer powdercoating for $40. The cone filter is a stainless steel mesh style, a lot like the Blitz filters. I throw mine in the dishwasher every oil change but that is not really necessery that offen. Since this filter does not contain any oil it does not collect a lot of crap and clog like a K&N style tends to. The dirt that is filtered falls off when the vacume frm the engine is shut off. I have noticed a small dust pile form in the lower fender corner below the filter.

Morgan, that seems like something i will do, just not at the moment. im going to purchase a safari bar from tone, and lights to put on it, so that will set me back for a while. ill probably be able to purchase it after christmas. (sell all my gifts and buy it! ha, that would be nice!) anyhow, i would like to see the dyno sheets as well, post em! are they for a VX with a SC or without?

O ya, also, doesnt the oil from the K&N filter help a lot to reduce small particle dust from getting in the engine and increasing wear? so, would this filter setup reduce the life of my engine?