Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Body panels - armor all?

Body panels - armor all?

New VX'er here. Anyone have good tips on preserving the body panels? Armorall? Nothing at all?

Also the front fangs, any good tips for keeping them fangerific?

-Dan
    VehiGator
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Smile

I have just started trying Meguiar's NXT Tech Protectant.
    It seems to be lasting well and the cladding has a good black appearance without attracting dust/dirt.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

I tried Mother's "Back To Black" last week...still looks great...no streaks either.

How about a plastic dye?
    I was reading one of those car doodad magazines that are like the sharper image, but for automotive stuff and they had a product that was designed for your dashboard and all that was a black plastic dye. They also had a version that was for your tires to keep them looking black.

The tire version was a lot cheaper (2x-3x number of ounces for the same price as the dashboard version). I was thinking the tire version might work well on our cladding.

So, anyone ever tried a plastic/rubber dye on the cladding?

Also got me thinking, my grey-on-black interior might look pretty snazzy if I changed it to electric-blue-on-black instead. Should be able to dye all the grey parts blue, I think.

Use soap to clean the plastic then Black Magic 'Back to Black'. Tried many products and this remains the best.
    good luck
    face the mirror

I used the aforementioned McGuire's NXT or whatever. Comes in a purple bottle with a green nozzle.

Put it on two weeks ago. Application was fustrating, because it was easy to see streaks if you didn't apply liberally and evenly. But once I had it on, its held up great. Been through a couple of rainstorms, lots of morning dew and no streaking or fading.

looks great.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Thumbs up

Gald to here that Maugan, I just bought a bottle of it today. I was looking for some Meguiars Endurance Gold or Trim detailer but my local Auto Zone didn't have any. I thought about Mothers Back to Black (as people here have liked it) but it's a small size bottle and wouldn't last long. So I got the Meguiars "NXT generation Tech Protectant". My method was spraying it directly on the clean rag (not on the panels) taking long even swipes doing the entire vehicle. Then with a new dry clean rag go back around and remove any residue with the same long swipes following the curves of the Cladding. It looks great. The smell is alittle flower/sweet, but my 9 year old girl loves the sweet smell. No results on long term but as Maugan said,it's working for him.

I use Turtle Wax 2001 Super Protectant w/sun spot,(bright neon green bottle) works great on the cladding/panels and on the interior plastic. I used to be a detailer and Turtle Wax 2001 stuff seems to atract less dust than any other product, when using it on the interior. Back to black is hard to use becuase it's a squeezy bottle (mine is a squeezy) and you have to use alot of it. Back to Black works well on my beemer though. I dont know about the NXT im guessing it's expensive becuase i just got the NXT Wax, and it was like 16.99 for a bottle. With 2001 dont spray directly on the cladding, spray on rag then apply. Hey you Meguiar's guys you have to try the new Meguiar's Glod Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Protectant Gel whoaaa buddy It's EZ to use, and lasts long, plus little/no mess

V12BMW.. I agree the Turtle Wax 2001 is great stuff that's what I always have used. I just came in from wiping off my cladding (did not apply anymore NTX) and I did have some "static" with a dry rag. Static = Dust collector. I'm still waiting to see how it last under rainy/messy conditions. More updates to come.

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    I am very tempted to give this a try...

http://www.properautocare.com/cohifato.html

I was also debating about powder coating. Not sure how it would adhere to the plastic. Haven't even researched it.
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

If someone tries this - please post your findings!

Meguires makes a product they claim was made for GM cladding(think Avalanche) You have to call the 800 number to get it. The name is "trim detialer" not the Endurance stuff. It's milky white (like Back to Black) without the alcohol base(won't dry the plastic out) About 3.50 a bottle...plus shipping. Get 4 at a time, the shipping is the same as a single bottle. You can maybe get it from their web site.

Thumbs up

Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Protectant Gel whoaaa buddy It's EZ to use, and lasts long, plus little/no mess

Yep, been using it for quite some time now and I definitely endorse the product. A bottle lasts a long, long time, too.

Ok, I ordered the Forever Black dye (it was the same product I mentioned earlier when I could not remember its name). But I'm one lazy *** and its cold now so it might be a few weeks before I get both a chance and motivated to try it. Will post when I do though.

I just ran arcross this. Haven't used it but might be worth a try...

http://www.properautocare.com/blacagextrim.html

Also when your at the site..click on "Exterior Car Care" on the left. They seem to cover alot of area's
    Last edited by VCrossfan : 11/03/2004 at 08:11 PM