And NO - A BIG FAT NOOOO - I DON'T think your racism statement is true in ANY part of the country, but I DO think it gives us some insight into what the "Proud Members of the Intellectual Elites" living in "The United States of Liberty and Education" think of us backward saps in "Jesusland".

I'll have to say that I too believe that racism is alive and well in many parts of the country...although it seems more pronounced in the South. Let's think back to 1998 when 3 "bubbas", for lack of a better word, drug a black man (James Byrd) to his death behind their pick up truck just because of his skin color. I have lived in Texas most of my life and there are parts of this state I would not venture into with my partner for fear of being harmed. I'm not talking about little itty bitty towns, I'm talking about Beaumont, Port Arthur.... I belive if given the chance some people would most defintely opt to turn back the hands of time to segregation.

OK - enough of that - got kind of sidetracked there. We've got our own trash talking to do! Let's get to your MAIN POINT which was, in your words, "the dangers of putting "rights" issues up for a popular vote rather than handling them in the courts at the federal level".

What disturbs you so much about states having different laws? To me it seems like a good solution to intolerance. If you just can't stand to be around those who think/act differently than you, then you can MOVE to a state where the philosophical and political leanings (and thus the state laws) are more to your liking. Can't stand tobacco smoke? Move to NY! Love those cigs? Move to NC and smoke up Johhny! Banjo music get on your nerves? Stay the hell out of the South! Go see Le Nozze di Figaro at the Met instead...

What is unfortunate about "if you don't like it then leave" is that it narrows down the choices dramatically! For instance, my partner and I have been planning to buy 50 or so acres outside the Asheville area for our retirement. That area of NC is very progressive and diverse, but the state itself not so tolerant and I really don't foresee North Carolina passing legislation permitting gay marriages or for that matter civil unions in the near future. So we are presented with the choice of moving to Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, and probably Oregon - do you think that's fair? I certainly would like to have a larger selection, preferebly hmmmmm, North Carolina yeah!!

Do I think America is ready at this point in time to make gay marriage or civil unions recognized in all 50 states? Absolutely not! I think the gay/lesbian community has had many significant victories this past year in getting a few states to recognize our right to love whoever we want and to be able to have the rights that so many straight couples take for granted. I do however understand that it is going to take years for the rest of America to catch up in regard to equality for ALL of its citizens.