Thread: Another GREAT rallycross!

Thumbs up Another GREAT rallycross!

We had another awesome rallycross event at Joe Black's property in Ft. Meade! Joe was better than ever and after 2 runs he was 3rd overall in a field of 28! Very close too - leader was at 471, 2nd was 473 (previous two-time winner of the event), and Joe had a 475. Unfortunately he popped a bead on a tire and finished in his not totally prepped Merkur XR4Ti - I was crushed to see that because he was doing so well and I think he could definitely have taken 1st overall in the VX! We really should have forced him to take one of the other two VX's for a spin. Nicely done, caught some air, very aggressive, very fun to watch (Joe, I'll send what video I have - watched it tonight, pretty cool!). And no, Joe never practiced on the course beforehand - it was finished at about nightfall the day before the event. It was also a fast, dry course (relative to twistier, soggier previous layouts), and a longer course than we've done before (an even mile). One might think the Subies would have an edge over a VX in the conditions, but think again. :-)

As for me, I did beat half the field (14th of 28), so I can't complain. Sure didn't beat Joe this time, but I had a blast as usual. :-)

We had a Jeep Liberty out there too, and 3rd place overall (and winner of two previous events, all in different cars) was taken in a Subaru Forester!

Thanks as always to Joe for hosting the event and all of the behind-the-scenes work he puts into these things.

Thumbs up

Thanks, it was great to have y'all down again representing the VX contingent. As for my performance, I was quite surprised and chalk it up more to problems with the brothers Filipe more than major improvement on my part. The Yokohamas are definitely awesome tires though, and if I had the info then that I have now about more effectively using the flush valve stems either A) the tire wouldn't have popped off or B) I would have gotten it right back on. As it was, there was too much mixing of adrenaline and fatigue to make a rational decision and the XR4Ti just sitting there sort of clenched it. Whew, 2WD turbo is WAY different than 4WD TOD! If I can get the other XR4Ti ready in time it may debut at the ERS event, but I'm not betting on it. ;pg;
    Last edited by Joe_Black : 11/15/2004 at 08:05 PM
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Talking

Yeah, you all should have seen him spit out his water when I told him he was nipping at the heels of the Filipes. :-D

Um, don't believe it folks. Hey Joe, stop being so modest! LOL!

Are we really supposed to believe that all of the normal top-of-the-heap drivers had an off day? That the brothers Filipe BOTH had problems? AND Winston did too? AND Mike? HMMMM? Oh, please! :-)

Let's review the top finishers overall, shall we?

1. Mike McIntosh
    2. Pedro Filipe
    3. Carlos Felipe
    4. Winston Crosbie

Gee, yeah, they had a bad day. Uh huh. I wish I had problems like that. :-)

BTW, Jo has a few pics up in her gallery - one of the Dragon, one of mine, and one of the XR4Ti.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 11/15/2004 at 05:00 PM

Talking

Bah! I need tougher tires!

Lightbulb

Pictures are up. Since I was driving in group C there aren't any photos of that group, just A and B.

Here's the link: FMR TurkeyCross Photos

Both of my fronts have a slow leak, even though I already got a decent-sized wood chip to pop out of the bead. No biggie, will just have to clean 'em up and remount 'em.

Thanks for posting pics! I really like this one...

Tires coming off the rim in RallyCross are usually the result of insufficient air pressure. Tires should be run at MAX pressure listed on the tire and ideally checked before each run or group of runs. GREAT photo!

Tone, I think that's exactly what got me. I've done several of these things now and never had any problem with my BFG Mud Terrains, even at the longer, faster, and pretty intense ERS event with more varied surfaces to run on. I've always been opposed to the "air them down" school of thought some rally folks apparently subscribe to, and I usually run at higher pressure. However, this time I just plain made an oversight. Live and learn. :-)

Yeah, that's why mine came off. Apparently getting airborne tends to squeeze a little out upon landing. I've got flush mounted valves in the wheels now and I just learned the proper technique for airing them up. At the rally I couldn't get enough air in the time I needed and was also having some issues with the compressor. Overload! Auugghhhh! ;pg;

Thumbs up

Results, photos and video are up on my site under the MEDIA section: Fort Meade RallyCross

Pretty cool video, courtesy of Jo Balsamo at www.imprezagirl.com with some good "competition" PV2 noise. ;Dp;

Fixed link...
    Last edited by Tone : 11/17/2004 at 02:57 PM

AWESOME! Very cool footage of yours, none of mine...moving, that is. Waaa! :-(

:-)

Jo is sending me a DVD with all the footage they shot, so I'll burn ya a copy when I get it. I may go up to ERS on the 27th even if I don't enter, but it's not looking like they'll get the 30 entrants.

Oh and David, I see you're only an "A Cup" on GravelGirl.com. :laughg:
    Last edited by Joe_Black : 11/17/2004 at 03:37 PM

I popped a bead at moab V in the sand rally cross. It was on my last run, the guys out there helping had a tank of air (can't remember who at the moment, I know phines and his friend jason were there, jason won it) and they got the bead back on... boy was that a fun drive back to the campground with a pound or two of sand in the tire.. I thought i messed the whole vx up on the rallycross. Just sand... so that was good.

Hey Joe, you gotta problem with that?! A-cups are beautiful too!

Yep, finally got mine fixed today, after making use of the air compressor at work a few times the last few days. Joe, I tried your suggestion yesterday and they told Amanda "bring it in by 6:00 and we'll have you out by 7:00" over the phone, then I show up at 5:00 and they told me 3 hours to do it so I didn't. It was my Mom's b-day yesterday too, so I had places to be. So the VX ended up at Tire Kingdom and I just went ahead and got them rotated and balanced while they were at it. Oh, and my brakes are only about HALF worn in the front! I expected more by now, especially with my rallycross addiction. :-)

Ooh, me wants that DVD! Thanks! I figure there's not action footage of mine in that clip because I was slower and so it probably didn't look as cool. LOL! By the way, I will get that tape from this past weekend out to you sooner this time. Oh, did ya ever get a chance to finish up the DVD from the earlier rallycross?

Ya know, I just barely got beat by Joanna this time. :-)

I will not be running at ERS next time, but I may go too and just hang out and try to get some video and pics.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 11/18/2004 at 04:07 PM

Just gotta say, I have watched that little clip so many times now, and I never get tired of seeing the Dragon go by or Carlos whipping around that Forester... WOO HOO! :-)