Thread: Just a little rant

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just a little rant

Today I had a cop next to me, we got a red light, I checked and turned right onto my street. Got pulled over for running a red light. He said I didn't come to a complete stop. Now granted, a lot of times, I don't, but there's practically no difference with me, and I am careful and aware of my surroundings, and I don't even think he was right this time. I think he heard the PV as I went up the slope and thought I was taunting him or something (?). No officer, it always does that, especially when I am just getting up speed.

So he asked for my license, asked if the VX was mine, if I'd had a ticket in the past year (nope), went to his car and ran a check I guess. Never asked for proof of insurance or registration, but I already had the insurance card out and was about to whip out the registration so I guess he figured I had my ducks in a row on that. He let me go, no ticket. But it kinda peeved me all the same.

Okay, amazingly I still do have the utmost respect for most cops, and talk about putting it all on the line. If there's anyone who needs a pay raise, they're it. But I swear this is the same guy that pulled me over a few years back when he was next to me and the light went green so I went. Told me I ran that too, so I guess he was too busy looking at his computer screen or something. He was clearly the one not devoting enough attention to the traffic signals. No ticket then either, though. Does this guy think people normally decide it's a good idea to screw around when they know full well a cop is right next to them?

I guess I was lucky this time. First, I was polite but I suppose I was sort of argumentative with him. He had an attitude and tone that just rubs you wrong right away. I still had two rallycross number cards on the floorboard, a shirt that reads "4-wheelin' stud", and a helmet in the back, so it probably didn't look good for me. But I am not hell on wheels and I know there's a time and a place for that on a rallycross course.

Technically, maybe he was right. But here's the thing. As this was happening, this was running through my head - I drive more than most people, mostly for work, and I can't tell you how much the cops miss or simply don't bother to deal with. I see people who truly and recklessly run lights with a cop sitting right there and they don't do a thing. Just yesterday a guy was on my tail, cut off someone dangerously close to go around me, then didn't like who he ended up behind so he passed them in the center turn lane probably doing 60 in a 45 zone. So I'm thinking, "where's a cop when you need one?" and glanced back in my mirror, hoping there'd be a police car around. Well, sure enough, three cars back, there was. Did he do a damn thing? No. But I execute a perfectly safe right turn and wham! And whether he's right or not, of all the nitpicky things, ya know? When I consider what I see them not pull people over for and what I did get pulled over for... geez! There's not even a street on the other side of where I did it. They have a lot of discretionary power and every cop is different so a lot of them apparently don't feel like stopping the dangerous people and others will stop you for anything or nothing at all.

My mom has a red 3000GT and that thing draws cops like moths to a flame, to the point that it's practically harassment. And she pretty much drives like an old granny (well safer than that, but you get the idea). I've been pulled over twice for silly stuff (well three, counting the neons I had on the Avenger). Actually, this was the first time I've been pulled over in the VX. I was given a hefty ticket several years ago right after a lowered black pickup SCREAMED by me, but apparently the officer decided I was the one going that fast or something. I mean, what did he do, take a guess? It must be the red sports coupe I just clocked, right? And we had a cop over when our neighbor shot our cat and he told us he didn't like cats either and he'd probably do it too if he wouldn't get in trouble for it! What an utter *bleep*! So sorry, but the cops around here have a real bad track record in my book.

No offense to the good guys wearing the badge. You guys rock.

Rant over.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 11/20/2004 at 05:45 PM