Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Racing this weekend.....

Interceptor turned to max pressure will help with the shifts but the sputter is hitting the rev limited before making the shift. Try manually shifting and anticipating when you need to shift so you will not hit the limiter.

Sucessful drag racing takes time to learn - what were your reaction times and did they subtract from that from your overall trap time? Were you running with taller and heavier than stock tires?

Hmmm, so it's safe to manually shift in that situation (under hard acceleration)? After getting similar advice, I started to do that in my Avenger and ended up needing a new tranny. I just assumed that I shouldn't have been doing it and that it was why the tranny got trashed.

Originally posted by Heraclid
    Hmmm, so it's safe to manually shift in that situation (under hard acceleration)? After getting similar advice, I started to do that in my Avenger and ended up needing a new tranny. I just assumed that I shouldn't have been doing it and that it was why the tranny got trashed.
    Yea, that sounds like it could hurt the tranny. The Interceptor, have'nt heard to many good things to even try it, Is there any other alternatives?

My reaction times-

But from what I understand, they don't matter to much. Your time starts from when you pass the sensor, you could sit there for a minnut(after the green) if you like.
    Draftsman of the dead

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Manually shifting a tranny will NOT hurt a tranny - no way, not how unless you shift into R while rolling! Interceptor run on max all the time IS probably bad but if you are racing in the first place, that isn't good overall for the vehicle anyway.

Some tracks count your reaction time, especially in bracket racing, that is why I asked.

Again, are you running taller heavier tires than stock?
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

I'm running on Toyo street tires, don't know the size off hand. I think they are about 1.5"(maybe more) shorter and a 1" wider than the stockies.

Hey jayfotos, I also get that rev out inbetween 2-3. I found that its because the power button is on (I thought it had more to do with the interceptor). I would run through half of 2nd in power mode then turn it off then after the shift re-engage power mode.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Just wondering. I'm not saying it is necessarily bad for the tranny or not because I don't know, but I had always assumed that manually shifting was the way mine got trashed on a previous car. It certainly made a difference on that car if you did it right, and the tranny never griped about it at the time. But what about if you did it at times other than the optimum shift points? It seems at least possible, even if you almost had to be trying to screw it up.

Now for this launching at 3,000 rpms thing. Doesn't work, at least not for me. The reason is that the VX starts powering forward and overriding the brakes before the revs even get that high. Despite having the brake all the way depressed, I can't keep it stationary long enough to get to 3,000 rpms.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 12/13/2004 at 03:11 PM

this is kinda on a tangent but has anyone considered swaping our tranny wiht the troopers stick shift tranny?
    ________
    Gabryella cam
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:52 PM