Thread: A little change in the power dept, also gauging intrest in custom S/C kit

Lightbulb Gauging intrest in custom S/C kit, as well as my change in power plans

Well i sold the turbo, intercooler and decided to go with a powerdyne BD-11A 6psi centriphical super charger. I will have to build a custom bracket to mount it but that will be it. The stock fuel managment will handle 6psi with no mods to injectors or pumps. So this will be a simple bolt on install after the design phase. No oil lines of fuel stuff to change. I also want to know if there would be any intrest in me building an install kit for this blower on the VX? I can make a few mounting plates and try one on a VX to see how it fits. This would require swapping to a slim line electric fan setup to make room for the blower. So if you would maybe be intrested in something like this please post to let me know.
    Last edited by morgan-tec : 12/11/2004 at 09:14 PM
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Sounds interesting... How does the quality of the parts and the cost of this project compare to the Alpine blower? Would there be a downside to swapping out to an electric fan? I seem to remember someone saying they had some cooling problems when they went electric. Anyhow, post some pics, we'd all like to see.

Well i am still in the info gathering phase right now but here are some rough #s. The Powerdyne super charger head is around 2k and i have no idea on the mounting bracket yet since i dont know how hard it will be to build. I can assure you that an install of this type will be much eaiser and faster than the alpine kit. Install should be around 3-4hrs at the most. And you will not have to mess with fuel and oil lines just the serpintine belt and intake. AS for the fan discussion, i have had mine on for a little while and have had better cooling than stock. While my Ax was in the shop the Isuzu tech commented that he liked it and it worked much better than the stock one. I do still have yet to test it in extreme summer heat but i am not worried. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

It sounds awesome. I'm definitely purchasing an SC within the next 6 months, and more power for less money sounds very tempting. Are you planning to include a custom intake in your build kit? How about the electric fan? Heck I suppose you could even offer powder coating in our choice of colors, huh? Well, I for one am interested. Keep me posted on your progress.

Oh, BTW, you might get more responses if the subject line were more descriptive. I almost skipped over it because from the home page it shows up as "A little change in the po".

KP

man the turbo idea was awesome......but a sc with more boost then teh alpine is good too
    ________
    BUBBLERS
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:51 PM

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    You realize a centrifugal SC (or Turbo) done NOT make power until well into the power curve. Several years ago I build a kit with a Vortec unit and it is really tight in the engine bay to try and hang a bracket off the engine. Power came on way too late - a stock VX would walk me several car lengths before the power even started to increase.

Running a longer serp belt straight to point where the SC will live will be difficult due to the water intake manifold and if you can, you'll need to change the stock tensioner so the belt does not slip when under high power and it recoils while trying to spin the charger.

6PSI WILL cause a check engine light most of the time and could cause the engine to run very lean, a dangerous condiition. Alpine has done the testing (on a Dyno and historically) and know the limits of the entire system. The injectors are 19lb ones and can hadle extra flow IF you can talk to them. A UniChip could work on the ECU but....

I commend your efforts but hate to see you waste time and money reinventing the wheel. The overall cost will be very close to the existing kit and you will have less low end power - no way around it. The Alpine kit came from a company with 35+ years of supercharging (and Turbo) experience and thoroughly RESEARCHED and DEVELOPED a complete kit that works. Please cast a new manifold so we can use the 4th generation roots or even a screw type - but the ECU is still our sticking point.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Well i am planning on running a dual belt crank pulley with a tensioner so slipage will not be a problem. The turbo i had was going to be perfect for this motor, quick spool and high volume. The S/C will take a little more to spool but we will just have to see. AS for the boost levels and the motor, i have talked to the techs at Alpine and they told me that the stock motor and fuel delivery system will handle 6psi with NO mods. If i run a little lean i will go to 24lb injectors and maybe a piggyback. I will be building a custom intake tube with a blow off valve in it for this kit. There are a bunch of different fans that could be used on this type of install. The main reason i decided to go with the S/C is uninstallability. I.E. i want to be able to pull this off fast with no evidence of it being on if i need to get warrenty work done on my Axiom i wont get any problems.