Thread: Hello - possible new owner

Hello - possible new owner

I know threads like this are posted many times, I am a member on several automobile forums and see this kind of thing all the time.

I am going to stick my neck out anyway and ask for help and advice...

I've been casually lurking this forum for about 6 months and toying with the idea of purchasing a Vehicross.

I just sold my Nissan Titan (way too big and expensive) and am in the market for a new 4x4. Torn between the Nissan Xterra s/c (yellow) or a Proton Yellow Vehicross I've found in KY.

The Vehicross I've found has 48k on it. (2001)

I've owned two Rodeos (loved 'em) so I am familiar with Isuzu products. I am going to make the drive to KY next week to drive the Vehicross and I wanted to ask for advice on what I should specifically be looking at when I arrive.

Better yet, is anyone familiar with this particular Vehicross and already looked at it?

Thanks for all of your info. You seem to have a really nice forum here filled with people who really care.

-Ayrow

Hey There.....Best advise: #1 check out the body carefully for prior damage and/or collision. Check entire electrical(make sure windows operate normally), check for seal leaks around the headlights(they appear foggy if seal is gone).
    #2 take it to a local mechanic(even though you may not know any in the area) have it checked out. Listen for any weird sounds from the tranny and/or rear end. Ignore the bumpy ride(that's normal in all VehiCROSS),get used to it. The VX was built for pounding dirt, not pavement
    Be 100% sure(or as close as possible),it's a big investment in one of the coolest cars ever built.
    Keep on truckin'--------------John

If this is the VehiCROSS at Greg Coats Cars in Loisville, I have driven it for another potential owner.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

I too have a 2001 proton w/ 48,000 miles
    As mentioned the big things i would look for are;

1. accident damage
    2. fluid leaks
    3. unusual noises: engine knocks, rough transmission shifting, dif noises (my rear diff whines when cruising at 62mph, its being fixed under warranty but is expensive $2-3,000 plus)
    4. wierd electrical behaviour

I think as a non origional owner your engine and drivetrain warranty is 60,000 miles / 5 years so you should be covered in the event of serious problems but confirm that.

If there is a service record, great, if not (like mine) I did a carfax check and it listed much of the service record in their report which was helpful, enough information that i knew service work had been done. As a safeguard i had all the fluids changed shortly after i got the car home.

All in all, for a limited production concept vehicle whilst not perfect, the VX has, in my opinion, remarkably few issues, all of which can be dealt with with a little advice from this invaluable board.

Good luck, I hope you go with the vehicross, i also was considering a yellow s/c nissan, the xterra, allready owning a 2002 Pathfinder i really like Nissan's but i'm so glad i went with the VX, i havent regretted it for a minute, the VX has waaaay more character.

Pete

Appears you are looking 'yellow' ....... however ......
    You may want to consider this one:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...1184#post51184
    (2000 VX ...... Dragon Green ..... 36K ....... $14,500 ........ I believe it is located in western Michigan .......)
    If you have the need for cargo space and frequent hauling, the VX may not be for you ............
    however, the XTerra will not handle and drive like the VX ......

Originally posted by Raque Thomas
    If this is the VehiCROSS at Greg Coats Cars in Loisville, I have driven it for another potential owner.

Yes, it is the one at Greg Coats.

What did you think?