Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 16 rims need new bigger tires :(

Unhappy 16 rims need new bigger tires :(

I am wondering what is the biggest tire size I could use on my stock 16" 99 VX rims. I really like the Pro Comp Xterrain. Is there anything I could have trimmed or something to make the smallest ones fi? I was looking at this suspension lift also but didn't wanna do that if not needed due to the money factor http://www.pureisuzu.com/99-01_3_lift.htm are any of you familar with this and is it a good lift? Thanks for any help

Jeff

I believe 255/70R16 is the largest you can mount and not need to trim the cladding. Trimming is not a big deal though. Use the search feature of this site for the details you're looking for, because this stuff is discussed all the time and it's all archived.

Thanks

Thanks alot,, I don't come here often but probably will now LOL

Jeff

Smile pro Comp Xterrain

These are the tires I would like they are size 285/75R16 Pro Comp Xterrain. Would these be too big? I read some back posts but still not sure because the size seem so different.

Thanks
    Jeff

Just put the OME 912 2.5" lift kit on and the Pro Comp X-terrain's 285-75-16's on this week. It did rub, but trimming the cladding was minimal-took about 30 minutes with a Dremel tool. Looks great, but I must advise that these tires are LOUD!! and they kill your gas mileage even further, but that can be expected when you upgrade to bigger, heavier tires. Hope this helps.

Talking Thanks

Sounds great. Is the rubbing due to the extra width of the tire or the diameter?I don't really have the money to lift also right now, but need the tires I hate to get tires I don't really want then just to turn around later and get the ones I want also. Sorry for all the questions.

thanks
    Jeff

Little bit of both, the diameter is about 33" (32.9) and the width is approaching 11.5". You'll need to trim the front inside corner of the cladding, which is not even viewable from the outside anyway. The rear needs trimming on the inside corner of the wheelwell (about 0.5"). Again, not noticeable from the outside. Either way, I think some sort of lift is necessary, or you'll be doing a great deal of cutting. I think Bagheera has a similar size tire on her VX (without the lift) and needed minimal cutting. You should check out her posts/pics in the gallery section.

-Medman

I also have 285/75/16 with the OME912 springs and have to adjust the torsion bars.....oh yeah, minimal trimming. I have pics in my gallery

Talking Nice pics

Looks pretty good with some fat treads. I guess I will have to have it lifted also. Thanks for all your help. I will try and post some pics when it is done. Christmas kinda drained me for a bit LOL. Thanks again

Jeff

Hi all,

I have the similar question abot biggest tire I can use without any trimming.
    Would this one:

BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO
    LT265/70R-16/D1 RWL

work for my 99 VX stock rim?
    The price is $168 each and there is a mail in rebate for $50.(for a set of 4)
    Many thanks in advance.

Kuba

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

kuba,
    I have the same size on stock rims...works & looks great, however, slight trimming of the front cladding was reqd.
    Takes about 3-5 mins & is NOT noticable, unless you really looked hard. It's just a 2" piece of plastic on the front inside of the wheel well where it turns towards the front.
    GO for it!!!
    Ldub
    Also, there are good photos of what needs to be cut in Noctournal VX's gallery.
    Last edited by Ldub : 10/20/2005 at 10:28 PM

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    The Nitto TerraGrapplers, at 265/75-16, 31.5" dia., are as big as I can get with out lifting.
    A 3/4" of cladding was cut from in front of the front tires.
    The only snag was that I missed the load rating in the order. It should have been D, for 8 ply not E for 10 ply (Rated). I did not need the harder ride and the extra unsprung weight. The web site did not describe the E=10 and D= 8 details. First impression are a little slower pick up and no different feel or ride change from the 245/70-16.
    Do Advance Search on newthings / nitto tires, for pix.
    Roy

Wrangler MTR

Hello,, I had a set of goodyear MTR's put on that are 245/75/16 and didn't need any trimming. they actually look pretty good. Cost me about $600.00 for the set mounted.I am gonna lift it in the future but for now these tires look real good.

Jeff

Many thanks for the help and advises
    I am a lot clearer now for what I need to do:
    if I go with 256 need triming
    if I go with 245 it would be fine (I believe 245 is the factory size)
    I try to find the side for triming "how to" no luck
    I will look further

Many thanks for all the helps and advise:P

FYI, I have 33" tires liftd with 912 springs AND 1" SPRING SPACER and I STILL RUB after a good amount of trimming, keep finding I need to trim more and more every time I go wheeling.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......