Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ugliest 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    Base price is supposed to be under $20k, actually. Toyota doesn't sell anything for $40k (but Lexus will be happy to oblige... ;-)
    Don't they still make the Land Cruiser? And the Supra? I would think one could also equip an Avalon into that price range....but back to the subject, I love the concept...let's just hope it looks recognizable once it gets to production. If it's "only" going to be a $20,000 vehicle, it won't look much like the prototype!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I love the internet... what question CAN'T you answer in 3 minutes?!?

So you got me on the Land Cruiser (base price $55,815). You can probably option up a Sequoia to $40k, and the Avalon Limited starts at about $33,500, so that one could be stretched with nav and DSC to ring the $40k mark. But the Supra, may it rest in peace, has been dead for several years now. :-(

Here's a link to Toyota's website listing all of their products (so you can check my facts and figures if you want):

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/modelselector/index.html

Here's one to Car & Driver's short-take on it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

So by C/D's report and the specs, I would guess that a fully-optioned 4WD version will end up running somewhere around $28k off the lot. You get a LOT of bang for that buck, though. A oh-so-important limited-slip differential, more engine, more towing, and more advanced electronics than the VX (and with the benefits of mass-production), but with an Xterra-like interior (no leather two-toned Recaros for FJ buyers!!) for a lot less money than the VX was, especially in adjusted dollars. It will appeal to a lot of buyers, I am sure.

is it me or does it seems like all those concepts wanna be hummers?

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

Drove a baby blue FJ from 85 to 88. Loved it, like the new one...wish they, would make it a little lighter/smaller

i don't know why, it just sorta gave me a feeling this is a super sized mini cooper!!
    blue HID head light, custom license plate "GOVEHIX", Pro M mass air flow, black safari light bar from Tone, PIAA 194 fog light intalled, PIAA 550 fog light lamp installed, custom bull bar extention installed, Levoc ultra metal pedal set, Bioharzard sticker at the rear glass, Recaro red cellphone holder and razo steer cover.

Thumbs up

Unfortunately my VX wont last forever and looking for a short wheelbase 4WD limits your choices.
    This Toyota may be an answer to the SWB 4WD problem if they dont jack the price sky high on the 4WD model.
    I'm sure it will be capable off road.
    The VX experiance has truly been like owning a custom vehicle. To this day, it still gets stares & questions.
    That will be whats missing with the Toyota.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Hinnant
    Unfortunately my VX wont last forever and looking for a short wheelbase 4WD limits your choices.
    This Toyota may be an answer to the SWB 4WD problem if they dont jack the price sky high on the 4WD model.
    I'm sure it will be capable off road.
    The VX experiance has truly been like owning a custom vehicle. To this day, it still gets stares & questions.
    That will be whats missing with the Toyota.
    What I look for in a short wheelbased 4x4 is the upgradeability prospects. I need a vehicle that I can modify to easily do 4 rated trails. (We have the Comp rig for the hard core stuff) My VX is there now but like Reg I am thinking of a replacement. Being an old LC guy (I have owned 2) I will have to look at the new Cruiser. In a couple of years you may catch Reg and I on the Cruiser forum.
    Todd

If only they offered it with the loose, flappy, leaky, canvas lid option.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

i love that thing, they use it for the baja 1000 now, and its doing an amazing a** job. I LOVE wired Looking SUV's, i really like also the subaru B9, or whatever iots called, i forget.

Amazing I started this thread months ago,just shows what an interesting car it is. Originally when I saw concept photos I did think it was ugly but I've since seen the light, having seen a few in the flesh when I was in the US, infact if they sold them in the UK I'd buy one.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by BritVX
    Amazing I started this thread months ago,just shows what an interesting car it is. Originally when I saw concept photos I did think it was ugly but I've since seen the light, having seen a few in the flesh when I was in the US, infact if they sold them in the UK I'd buy one.Col
    I thought it was the ugliest SUV when I first saw it, but after I parked my VehiCROSS next to it my opinion changed completely. Now I think it's the Ugliest Minivan. It's sooooo huge and dumpy and blocky and boxy compared to our trucks it looks like a joke.... go down to the dealer and park next to one... I insist. Or pull up next to one in traffic. They get that same Jeep Liberty, "Doh, I thought the salesguy said this wass the coolest truck", look on their faces!
    Canadian VXer!

I think it's Dumpy, Ugly look is part of it's charm it can't really compare to the VX as the VX is futuristic whilst the Toyota is most definately retro. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't sell my VX for one. Nothing beats the look on peoples faces when they see the VX, so many people think it's something new (mines 10yrs old). Col

Sorry, I still must disagree. While it took a while for our market to get saturated here in Tulsa as it did early on in bigger cities (as most of you predicted it would)...I still cannot pass one (has to be yellow) without saying "Man that is godo looking". They are proven to be decent off-pavement and have a uniqueness (design only) that si comparable to teh VX. I would hate to think that simply because something has become mainstream it would turn people off of it. If you like it, you like it. Who cares if you see them around town, or if you see a "soccer mom" driving one...don't let that influence your preferences. They are beefy, just teh right size, plenty powerful, and a nice mix of retro/modern which seems to be the new kid on the vehicle design block.

Talking

i just remembered that when the VX first came out, alot of poeple said they hated it, and thought it was ugly, in fact it was put as 1 of the uglyest vehicals ever made, but that was cuz it was diffrent and u all know this that most people or the majority will think the same as everybody else and not really show there true openion. but after the VX satrted sharing its Future look to the rest of the world and the world has cought up to it's looks or have gotten really close, people have gone to accept it and fall in love with it. All i'm saying is that art is in the mind of those who see the world past of it's time, and same goes for vehicals, they are art. if u compare to now adays, then yeah it will be ugly, but if u see it past that, how beautiful or cool something is with out having to worry what others have to say ur opeion will change , same goes with women, if u see how a beautiful babe will dress or look 10 years from now we will be like what the Heck, just like how people always talk about the past of people looks. anyways, i guess u guys get my point of view. The Fj is just a vehical going to its own path, with no1 to fallow it yet, wait a few more years and many others will take that same rout> the VX is a perfect example of what many vehicals in the future or now will take.