Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clicking noise in dash

Clicking noise in dash

Just started noticing a clicking noise while the engine is running. It is coming from in or under the dash on the drivers side near the door. It almost sounds like the blinker flashing noise, but it is faster. Nothing changes the noise, turning off the radio, the headlights or the wipers. Any idea what I can start looking for? I can't visually see anything.... Are the flasher solenoids under there? The flashers and hazards work by the way...

yeah, your blinker unit is underneathe there somewhere, but so is your alarm unit and various other items, do you encounter any electrical irregularities?
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

Nope, everything seems to be working normally. I'm going to check under the dash better tonight when I get home.. just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem before or not...

dude If I had a nickel for everytime I found a new dash rattle.....

...I'd have a crapload of nickels. I keep telling myself I'm going to rip open the dash one day and find out where it is,but I don't :P

I've got a particularly nasty one that buzzes when I stomp on it. From about 3000rpms+ in 1st and 2nd it does it but goes away after that.

ugh.

Good luck in locating the problem.
    2000 Black VX 105k

It's not a rattle, it is an electronic clicking... the frequency doesn't change with acceleration.. also, it does it in park, so I know its not a vibration thing.

Just a thought - but I had the same thing when my cell charger was plugged into the cig lighter. It was a brand new charger, so I didn't even consider it being the problem - just thought I had a problem with the draw or something - got a new phone and charger - problem gone. Somehow, it would make my signal relay click when it was hooked up.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

seeing that you are in Minneapolis anychance you have your Fan running for your heater ? ... if so maybe something fell down into the " blades " and i caught making a " clicking " noise. I had a stem of a leaf work its way down there and drove me a weee bit crazy till i dropped the Fan Motor( passenger side underdash ) and cleaned it out

i am sure that is what it is. i have the same problem as you are describing. the only thing that changes it is the speed of the fan. it drives me crazy!!! i am going to have to do something about it soon. good luck!
    "Times fun when you're having flies."
    -Kermit the Frog

Clicking Noise

No... I had this noise last week when it was really cold here in Michigan. It's the blinker unit.. It sounds like your blinker is on really fast, but they aren't.. I've had the 'paper in the fan blade' noise last year and it was a different noise. Both of them only lasted 2 days and seemed to correct themselves. I would bet it's the blinker assembly unit. Try hitting it real hard.. ;o)
    "If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space...." -Perry Kloska

Lol

Yea, buddy I live in MI too and about 3 weeks ago when it was freezing and my nose hairs were freezing up on me, my blower was making a funny "paper in fan type noise" too. Luckly it only lasted the drive to work, I thought I might have to replace the blower motor because I've heard that noise before on my BMW and it was a bad blower motor.

Do you have enemies? Be very careful, I am guessing that it is a time-bomb ticking down.

Quote Originally Posted by PDOGG23
    I would bet it's the blinker assembly unit. Try hitting it real hard.. ;o)
    Ok is it too obvious to state, or am I just missing it or what, where is the blinker assembly unit? Or the flasher unit. I have looked all over the VX manual CD from Tone and searched forever, but I cannot get a location for the "flasher unit" or blinker assembly unit. I am planning on changing this out when I go to LED's in a coulpe of days and want to replace the flasher unit instead of worrying with load equalizers that get hot. Also does anyone know if the flasher unit is a two pronged or three pronged unit? Thanks in advance.
    In Christ,
    Ryan

for search purposes

Just in case anyone else searches for the blinker unit or the turn signal flasher unit, and also to answer my own question, the flasher is under the steering column hidden up in the farthest spot away from the passenger side of the car. It is on the side of the hood release far back in that corner. There are a bunch of wires below it so it is almost impossible to see. Just turn the VX to the "on" position turn the blinker on and you should hear it start to "click". Then just start feeling up under there and you will eventually be able to feel it. IT IS A 3 PRONGED FLASHER! So if you are putting LED's in the turn signal like I am you will want to replace the old flasher with an electronic one. I have already ordered an electonic one from:
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR
    The point of replacing the flasher instead of putting in load resistors is to avoid the heat that the load resistors produce. Also the elctronic flasher is silent no more annoying clicking! Hope this helps someone in the future.
    In Christ,
    Ryan H
    USA Decathlon Team

Are you sure the electronic flasher will work with your LED's? I tried several and they didn't work very well. Some were very irratic and some blinked faster than the statndard one. That's why I went with the load resistors.. If you find one that works.. post it please..
    Scott / moncha.com

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    SuperbrightLEDs is a good company -I'm sure that the flash unit is alright.

I've used variable LED flashers before, and I'm convinced that is the way to go. Occasionally they pop up on eBay, but can be found elsewhere on the net.