Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: repack bearings

repack bearings

The dealer and my local tire/brakes guy tells me the bearings don't need to be repacked because they are sealed, but most members of he board advise that they be. Please advise if u know for sure? thanks again, george

Price a new spindle and decide whether it is worth the risk or not. Yes, the bearings have seals but they are NOT sealed bearings in the true sense. And repacking is not only about lubricating them but also and more importantly, removing the play that occurs as a result of wear. Dealers and many mechanics are stupid as indicated by what they told you - refer to the manua, VX Workshop CD, common sense and what people on these boards do to extend the life of their vehicles.

Tone ,
    Your word is was and always will be as good as gold, thanks buddy ! I will have them repacked,,

Quote Originally Posted by nyc #1 ironman
    The dealer and my local tire/brakes guy tells me the bearings don't need to be repacked because they are sealed, but most members of he board advise that they be. Please advise if u know for sure? thanks again, george
    Hi, I did the front hubs at 30K. There was a significant amount of rust within and a thorough cleaning and repacking was performed. I bought mine new and I was truly surprised to see the condition as my VX has been used almost entirely on the street.

Scott
    Scott

Mine haven't been repacked in forever and I'm sure they are way overdue. I was thinking about doing them myself using the HOWTO that someone posted not too long ago. Is this a long involved job that an only moderately experienced person such as myself might not want to tackle? How does the cost of a shop repacking them compare to purchasing new bearings and installing them myself?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Any old time mechanic will tell you to repack the bearings...the new ones will tell you "oh they are sealed don't worry about repacking"
    Sealed does not mean impervious...grease breaks down with heat,metal expands and contracts and before you know it..dirt and rust on the spindles followed by major repair bills.
    I don't care how "sealed" a bearing is it still needs grease and maintanance..
    REPACK AWAY GEORGE.
    I'ts a simple operation doesn't take more than an afternoon to do. But do it by hand don't use those fancy grease injection gimmicks...they don't work!
    John

Repack Rear?

The VX service maintenance schedule thing says to repack front bearings, does not mention the rear.

Reading these posts, then should the rear be done too or what? I was under the impression the rear was sealed off and did not need to be serviced. The front however is not under the same conditions.

Rears are sealed

The rear bearings are actually sealed... you can't repack them. Now if the seal blows you need to get into the dealer and have them take care of it as you'll lose all your diff fluid if it gets bad enough. They are however covered by the powertrain warranty as are the front bearings. If you remove a rear disc, which is easy, you can see if they are ok, other than that you can check for grease around the back of the disc. My parking brake wasn't working and it turned out all the innerworkings of the drum were completely greased.

Once you have repacked your front bearings on your own, it's easy to do it the second time... it's worth doing yourself if you plan on keeping with the every 15k rule.

Quantity?

Anyone know how many tubes of grease would be needed for the repack if you were to go out and buy that yourself?

Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Quote Originally Posted by Green Dragon

Thanks, but that article doesn't say.

1 of the big tubes is plenty. probably enough to do it twice. shawn
    1COOLVX

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Green Dragon

I'm gathering up what I need to do this exercise in repacking the front bearings and I hit a small snag while ordering the parts....

I ordered (2) front grease seals for the bearings.
    I ordered (2) 26mm snap rings.
    I ordered (1) Isuzu axle nut tool #J-36827.
    I bought (6) Machine screw flat phillips 4mm X 8mm.

Got Grease & etc...

Now for what I can't find: 2 Hub Flange/Bearing Cover gaskets
    The dealerships parts list and exploded view of hub doesn't show these.
    I was wondering if these are for the Superwinch Manual Hub setup used in the article instead of our stock setup??

If we need these...I need (1) per side..correct? Part #???

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 03/26/2005 at 10:35 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

BTW, here's a mechanic's tip on repacking the actual bearings. Either do it by hand (Cupped palm method) or remove all the old grease and place teh bearing in a ziploc freezer bag with new greash and squish away!

Just an FYI...

Question

Anybody have the part # for the Hub Flange/Bearing Cover gaskets?

I did a search on repacking bearings and hub flange gaskets and came up empty. Also searched VMAG.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 03/27/2005 at 02:41 AM