Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer in my VX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

computer in my VX

i may finally do a computer in my VX... the new Mac mini is amazing and has all the capabilities. i'll just plug in the $120 GPS antenna and WHAM! i could actually fit this in the glove box. sucks it's so beautiful!

http://www.apple.com

technocoy
    macintosh man

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    Man, now people are going on about the mac mini just like the ipod.

Somehow people think that just how there wasn't an mp3 player before the ipod, there wasn't a system as small with the same specs before the mac mini.
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

I don't think Apple was the first in either MP3 players, or mini computers. But they must have some brilliant marketing, because iPods and online music now account for about 1/3 of their business.

Personally, I'm not impressed. I've got a RIO CALI MP3 player that takes up to 1GB SD cards (which works out to over 10 CD's worth of songs). That is plenty of music for me, and I don't have to worry about the HDD bouncing around when I jog. Plus I paid less than 100 bucks for it.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

almost $1400 for a fully equipped model..they want an extra $500 (almost) just to upgrade to a gig of ram... and with a sub 2ghz processor, you need that extra ram imho..
    for under $800 you can get twice the machine in a laptop version, or build a top of the line itx box, i think thats a better option so far, unless your a mac loyalist.. i like the g4 chips, and dont know much about this stuff..but it just seems to me the mini isnt worth it quite yet...soon though, im sure...and maybe itll push the itx prices down some more..
    Maverick
    99' Ebony VX sold...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    almost $1400 for a fully equipped model..they want an extra $500 (almost) just to upgrade to a gig of ram... and with a sub 2ghz processor, you need that extra ram imho..
    for under $800 you can get twice the machine in a laptop version, or build a top of the line itx box, i think thats a better option so far, unless your a mac loyalist.. i like the g4 chips, and dont know much about this stuff..but it just seems to me the mini isnt worth it quite yet...soon though, im sure...and maybe itll push the itx prices down some more..
    macs r running 64bit so the the processor speed isnt slow, tats why video editing is usally done wiht macs. but i have to agree its pretty expensive, i would go wiht a microatx
    ________
    Glass Pipes
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:56 PM

Here is a 6.4" touch screen you can use.

http://www.magictouch.com/KTLC_064OM_spec.html

Would be very cool.
    Trenton

285/60-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Removed Airbox Elbow, Removed Rear Seat, Trooper Skid Plate, Yakima Load Warrior, HD chromoly tie rods, ball joint flip

Here's to the crazy ones

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    The G4 is a 32-bit processor. It's Altivec hardware can operate on
    "128bits worth" of data at once, not actual 128bit data (it's just 4x32bit
    chunks). But that portion is 128-bit. But it's nothing you will ever truly notice.

Actually to be more specific. The G4 PPC has 32 bit Interger units. Has a 64-bit Floating Point unit. And has 128 bit AltiVec (Velocity Engine) units..

And even if the chip was a true 64-bit like the Alphas unless you're doing super database crunching you'd never notice a difference.

I will note when it comes to games, pretty much every developer on the planet uses interger math, not floating point.

And if that LCD display is rated at only 300-nit before the Touchscreen, then you're gonna have a hard time seeing that in the interior of the VX during the day!

Not knocking this mod, just curious..... why? Not so sure I understand the use of a laptop/intergrated pc in the VX. I have the ability to use my Xbox and PS2 in mine, but that's simply for game use when on a camping trip, etc. I use pcs daily for work for graphic use and other than the cool factor, I have just never been inclined to want to pc in there. Throw me some bones and lemme know what's on your mind. Sell me.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Car PCs can be used as a media center (MP3 / DVD / XM / whatever) - never listen to the crappy radio again, video recording (for external cameras), GPS, and can even be tied into your car's computer so you can easily tweak your engine.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    ... and can even be tied into your car's computer so you can easily tweak your engine.
    This would be the only real benefit as far as I'm concerned, and no one has been able to 'crack' the Isuzu ECU yet.
    It would be cool to have all of those other techno gadgets, but I have them already, just not integrated like in a carputer.

well for me i dont have a gps,dvd, or mp3 deck....so a carputer is a cheaper upgrade then to buy say a pioneer n1(or the new one). aside from tat, u can play divx, avi, wmv, etc. u can also add a bluetooth adapter, wireless internet(still need access points tho).

I could care less about DVD and MP3, my headunit can play MP3 CD's as it is, however, I am interested in GPS (got it already) and this software, especially if I get the SC:
    http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html
    2000 Black VX 105k

I take my laptop everywhere I go..I am writing this from my vehicross right now in a resturant parking lot....so cool

You want cool?

This is cool! :

See more here: http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Language=4

It has touchscreen, bluetooth and the easiest operation system ever!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

I know I keep preaching it but,

www.autotap.com