Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: computer in my VX

I could care less about DVD and MP3, my headunit can play MP3 CD's as it is, however, I am interested in GPS (got it already) and this software, especially if I get the SC:
    http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html
    2000 Black VX 105k

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    This is what I used to have for ECU interface, hooked up to a laptop (ala Brian Whatshisname from the F&F). Never got around to mounting the touchscreen for it though. Also looked into the HKS Camp system for digital gauges and info, but it costs big bucks.

http://www.ecutek.com/products/incardash/

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    PVC when heated above around 110 degrees begins to release toxic fumes. PVC is a pretty nasty substance. I only mention this as when I was originally mounting my HID projectors to the stock VX headlamps I originally used PVC, after reading the material sheets I redid them in ABS.

You have been warned..
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

Cool Laptop pictures

[QUOTE=ameetw]Yes, pictures please.....
    This whole set up cost less than $150.00 providing you already have a laptop. and all I have to do is slide the ash tray in to be stock again.
    I can also use this same set up in my other vehicle for no extra cost!

I take my laptop everywhere I go..I am writing this from my vehicross right now in a resturant parking lot....so cool

The thought of a Mac mini in a VX sounds kool (I travel with my laptop everywhere and it can be a real hassle sometimes) esp. with GPS etc.. but have you considered the heat that builds up in a car. can a mini handle the heat and humidity that can build up inside a car parked in the sun for three hours? I'm bringing this up because I had bought an ipod when they first came out and had left it in my camaro just one day and it got fried. First gen ipod couldnt handle it..had to send it in and get a new one. i dont think Minis are made to be portable in that sense. I dont think it'll make it. or you'll have to deal with the sound of the fans running constantly.. but then again i could be wrong.
    Keep it movin'.

I know I keep preaching it but,

www.autotap.com

Gps software for Pc laptops

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/1...cbccdrcrd.html
    I came across this article the other day, since it descibes a Pc version of what I have been doing (for a year now) I thought some might find intrest in it.
    Note that he wishes for something other than a passenger to hold it

im plannin to do the same thing....ive already have a rikaline 6063 gps receiver(i think) and iguidance for software. im getting a 450mhz p3 probably next week. i have a 60gb hd, 512 sd ram and gonna get a m1-atx psu as soon as i can the whole system up.

I'm using a Rayming "Trip Nav TN-200" antenna with Route 66 software.
    No voice, but very customizable colors for better viewing contrast. the antenna is compatable with most software. I plan on adding NOAA (sea) and topigraphic software in the future.
    http://www.macgpspro.com/html/newhtm...reenshots.html
    here is a sample

You want cool?

This is cool! :

See more here: http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Language=4

It has touchscreen, bluetooth and the easiest operation system ever!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

Been a year and nobody has sold me on this. You are the weakest link! Buh bye!

Seriously, computer in a car.... fine, thats cool and all, but they are all still just laptops mounted on some toilet pipe. Intergration is where its at. Dash mounted. Gotta think more flush.

No, I'm not knocking what I have seen so far far (well, ya, maybe a little), but Gary sits here all unimpressed. C'mon, the challenge is there. We have already seen Whaleboy do some flush video mounts, so the ideas are there and possible.

*all in good fun folks. just trying to get those tech-mod minds running*

Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

just think CS:S in the vx as ur driving....how can u beat that?

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Been a year and nobody has sold me on this. You are the weakest link! Buh bye!

Seriously, computer in a car.... fine, thats cool and all, but they are all still just laptops mounted on some toilet pipe. Intergration is where its at. Dash mounted. Gotta think more flush.

No, I'm not knocking what I have seen so far far (well, ya, maybe a little), but Gary sits here all unimpressed. C'mon, the challenge is there. We have already seen Whaleboy do some flush video mounts, so the ideas are there and possible.

*all in good fun folks. just trying to get those tech-mod minds running*

I agree,
    in dash is way cooler, and the Tom Tom is easy to use and move from one car to another.
    I would love to have either.
    BUT for those on a budget (limited funds) a $100. antenna is a very good option vs. $900. for Tom Tom or $2000.+ for pioneer head unit (that only stays in one car)
    I also would love to see someone do a "reversed" version of the "stock" Japan (RH drive) dash trim, (double din) for LH drive VX's. All other parts for in dash should be available from Isuzu. some of these parts may need to be reversed also, but I would need to have a RH drive VX to know for sure. Maybe carbon fiber? (Concepts)?
    BTW: Police cars have laptops, and with hotspots I can do internet searches on the road (shoulder)
    LoL my stronger brother
    Last edited by Bulldoggie : 12/17/2005 at 02:08 PM

Word

I plan to put a mac-mini in the lower din and run it through my Avic n2 in the upper din, that plus a wireless keyboard and mouse . . . and I should be all set
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -