Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chips?

What he said....

"The original poster wanted a quick boost in performance, not the headaches of hours of dyno time, potential replacement of the stock engine harness, and the high probability that a user-tunable unit will give the owner just enough control to blow up their motor."

Draftsman of the dead

Fair enough, merely wanted to share some personal experience and optional solutions to the question at hand.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I challenge you to hook up a Haltech unit to a VX. We'll dyno before/after, and I GUARANTEE that you loose power across the board compared to the stock ECU. This is not a dig against the Haltech, this is any standalone unit. They have their applications, but this truck just ain't one of them.
    After thinking about this for a while I decided to accept your challenge, but only if you're certain enough in your guarantee to wager your VehiCROSS.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I don't think that my bank (or my wife for that matter) would be too keen on me betting the VX

I'm visiting with some shop owner/tuner friends of mine on Sunday. If there's a way to pull more power out of this truck with some electrical wizardry, they'll know it.
    They are Haltech fans as well, I believe that's what they are using on their 700whp Evo. But then again, it's not really a "street" car

Thumbs up

Darn! There goes my chance for a rally shell! Thanks for being a good sport though!

While at your friend's shop ask about wide-band O2 sensors. It's a handy tuning tool that's really getting some good feedback of late. Not a lot of use just yet for us VX folk, but more information about what's going on under the hood is always a good thing.

I may have a line on getting the replacement ECU done anyway (Haltech, DTAfast etc.) as part of a well-known magazine piece. If the dollars fall the right way and they decide to do it then one of my VX's may return to rallycross afterall. Then I'll have to find a home for the three XR4Ti's!

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I've been using widebands for a few years.
    We just need to weld a bung somewhere into our downpipe (oops, no turbo here -maybe in the x-over pipe.). I believe that we have been using an M12 x 1.25 nut welded over an appropriately sized hole. That way it's also easy to plug up when not tuning.

I've roadtuned cars (2 x Nissan Silvias) that have used Halmeter A/F meters connected to a wideband O2 sensor. Very accurate and easy to see when dodging obstacles while simultaneously turning knobs on the MAF signal adjuster.

I was into the dash last night (considering cutting it apart to make a double DIN opening -need to find donor (small) vents first), and considered cracking open my ECU. I find it hard to believe that it is a proprietary Isuzu unit. I'll bet a dollar to a dogturd that it's a GM product, likely for a 4.3L with a little adjustment for the DOHC configuration of our motor.
    Has anyone even tried using a Hypertech PP on it? My Actron works fine, but it's OBD II protocol and that's to be expected.

Three XR4Ti s!!
    That sounds like a donor yard for an RS200 clone project. Might be fun!