Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overhead console in your VX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overhead console in your VX?

Finally got around to "almost " finishing up this project, still have some minor bugs to work out, but heres where its at:

I sourced the console from a mid 90's Oldsmobile Silhouette mini van from a "u pull it" salvage yard for about $20.00 . nice unit including the temp and compass displays. I also grabbed the temp sensor from the front grille of the same vehicle.
    Its a two piece unit (upper and lower halves) which made it easier to work with. I had to recontour the mounting base to the vx roof line. First i made a template out of cardboard, then i epoxied foam core to the mounting base. Later i got out my dremel and and shaped the added material to the curve of the template. After that using carpet adhesive and some material i picked up at wallmart (not exactly what i wanted, but for $3 and no hassles, it did the job) and reupholstered the mounting base.
    Its not the neatest job, and i still have some wrinkles to work out(litterally), but overall im happy with it..then i screwed it all back together, figured out the wiring, and added a super bright green led behind the swivel dome lights. Tis illuminates when the gauge lighting is on, and shines onto the lower console storage area. when you open the padded compartment, you can now see inside it at night. Then i mounted it up.
    To mount it, i had to cut off the original mounting tabs at the front, and add a piece of strap metal to make a new "hook" . then i slit the headliner to provide a place for the hook to insert. for the rear i simply drilled two small holes through the original dome light mounting point, and screwed it in.
    I also added to "carpet plugs" in the center for additonal support.

I also installed (and hardwired) my garage door opener, as the GM console has a provision for this (gray oval button ), it has sunglass and rear storage areas as well.

Next time i have a go at it, i will reupholster it again, but add foam backing. im also going to tie in the original dome light circuit board to restore the staged dimming effect. this presents a few issues in the wiring ive yet to figure out.

There are several additional pics in my gallery here...
    Maverick
    99' Ebony VX sold...

Thumbs up

Looks GREAT! Would love to have one since there is so little storage but it might interfer with my sunroof! I swapped mirrors so I could have temp and compass but the console one is ideal too. Lookout, you may be making those up for others....

Great idea and execution.

I've been eyeing coverheads in every car I can for ideas myself, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

John C.

Looks great! I want one.

Super nice job
    John

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Thanks for the inspiration!

wow

I just found this link. Talk about overhead console. This dude did a wicked job.

Bart

another idea for an overhead

I found an overhead that I think fits pretty well too..
    still havent mounted it, but this is how I expect it to fit.
    Offers more map lighting, compass and temp too.

(resurrecting old posts is fun )

Last edited by Vehi-Cross-Az : 03/12/2008 at 08:30 PM

Check out our VX accessories @
    www.planetsvx.com
    click on the Vehicross button on the left side
    of the page

What chrysler did that come out of?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    What chrysler did that come out of?
    It didnt, it came out of a Ford
    Ill have to check which model

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the knowledge base is the closest I could find.

The is actually to Maverick and Wiring Gurus.

I am currently attempting the overhead console project. and using to an identical part (Jimmy console with 2 extra lights)

I got stumped on the wiring. Mine came with a harness of sorts, and the temperature probe.

Am i wrong to assume that similar colors of the console wiring run and match to the color wires on the probe?

Did you eventually get to the wiring ?

Is there a compass probe?

Im stumped here, I just saw a lot of wires and scratched my head. i did not take down the guts of the dome light yet. (dunno how many are in there)

My Thanks

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSix View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the knowledge base is the closest I could find.

The is actually to Maverick and Wiring Gurus.

I am currently attempting the overhead console project. and using to an identical part (Jimmy console with 2 extra lights)

I got stumped on the wiring. Mine came with a harness of sorts, and the temperature probe.

Am i wrong to assume that similar colors of the console wiring run and match to the color wires on the probe?

Did you eventually get to the wiring ?

Is there a compass probe?

Im stumped here, I just saw a lot of wires and scratched my head. i did not take down the guts of the dome light yet. (dunno how many are in there)

My Thanks
    Check out these links, & lemme know if you find the answer...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83GfzeDnfyXZVQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...eBmkoEwGI59tXQ

Copy & paste " overhead console from gm + wiring " into goog for more choices....MANY more.
    Last edited by Ldub : 07/05/2012 at 05:57 AM

I bought the same Winstar over head console as VehicrossFan and Slutty22 about a year ago and was going to actually do an install. Hoping someone has worked out the kinks to wiring the circuitboard from the OEM light. Might just run a hot wire and play around to see what turns on. I see a gray, brown and blue that run to the lights and switches that control the lights.

Thinking another option might be to place the OEM in the cargo area and use the overhead light up front. Man, I'd take a wiring diagram on a napkin even..
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

wow, been a long time, i had to sell my vx last year but ill try to help.
    on the gm console the compass function and sensor are built in to the circuit board, the tem sensor require two wires and if i recall the ground is shared. some of the wire from the lights can be spliced into the display, like the constant and the grounds, and dimmer. you will need to run the ignition 12v a dimmer line and a regular ground as i think the existing ground is a switching ground. im sorry i can provide wire colors or a schematic, mine went with my vx, and i am told it was exported to Russia....
    I hope this helps a bit... best of luck!