Finally got around to "almost " finishing up this project, still have some minor bugs to work out, but heres where its at:

I sourced the console from a mid 90's Oldsmobile Silhouette mini van from a "u pull it" salvage yard for about $20.00 . nice unit including the temp and compass displays. I also grabbed the temp sensor from the front grille of the same vehicle.
Its a two piece unit (upper and lower halves) which made it easier to work with. I had to recontour the mounting base to the vx roof line. First i made a template out of cardboard, then i epoxied foam core to the mounting base. Later i got out my dremel and and shaped the added material to the curve of the template. After that using carpet adhesive and some material i picked up at wallmart (not exactly what i wanted, but for $3 and no hassles, it did the job) and reupholstered the mounting base.
Its not the neatest job, and i still have some wrinkles to work out(litterally), but overall im happy with it..then i screwed it all back together, figured out the wiring, and added a super bright green led behind the swivel dome lights. Tis illuminates when the gauge lighting is on, and shines onto the lower console storage area. when you open the padded compartment, you can now see inside it at night. Then i mounted it up.
To mount it, i had to cut off the original mounting tabs at the front, and add a piece of strap metal to make a new "hook" . then i slit the headliner to provide a place for the hook to insert. for the rear i simply drilled two small holes through the original dome light mounting point, and screwed it in.
I also added to "carpet plugs" in the center for additonal support.

I also installed (and hardwired) my garage door opener, as the GM console has a provision for this (gray oval button ), it has sunglass and rear storage areas as well.

Next time i have a go at it, i will reupholster it again, but add foam backing. im also going to tie in the original dome light circuit board to restore the staged dimming effect. this presents a few issues in the wiring ive yet to figure out.

There are several additional pics in my gallery here...